Need advice on a Granite hearth for an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rock4200

Jan 13, 2009
baltimore conty, Md
Hello been a member for along time and a hearth.com addict lol. I want to thank everyone in advance for their input and help.

My ? is this I am remodeling my basement and will also be remodeling my fireplace now it is just a 1970's brick. I put a wood burning VC Montpelier insert in about a year ago. I am refacing the brick with a drystack veneer stone as soon as the weather breaks most likely in the spring or summer. I added a L shaped bar to my basement and will be having someone installing a granite slab as a counter top. I was looking around at some blue stone for my hearth a single solid piece and was quoted about 490.00 for just the material. With the stone being added my dimension of my new hearth will need to 104" long x 20.5" wide and 3 finished edges. The guy doing my granite said since he is doing my counter top which about 24 sqft for $800 he would do my hearth for $300.00 for a solid piece of granite which is a great price. the Granite is 1.75" thick how do you think this will hold up. Does anyone have any pictures of a granite hearth. My Montpelier sits mostly flush inside by firebox. I do not think heat will be a problem. What do you think

Attachments

• 0130111209.jpg
    0130111209.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 730
Normally I am all for a fresh look, but I have to say, that is a nice looking fireplace that fits nicely with the look of the stove. I like the weathered brick.

OK, that said, I see no problem with the granite hearth.

i do like it better then red brick but with the way i am redoing the basement it just looks a little out of place

Here's the granite I had before and after the Regency I3100 was installed. No issues with heat, scratches or anything so far. I had them cut it with a slight curve for the front to give it some depth, and simply bevel the edges. There's Steel 3X3 underneath that supports the concrete and granite. they installed it with some mortar and that was it.

Attachments

• granite1.jpg
    granite1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 633
  • granite2.jpg
    granite2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 660
  • Installed1.jpg
    Installed1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 695
  • installed2.jpg
    installed2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 634
looks good I am basically going to set it on top the brick probably just lay some mortar or thinset to set it on the brick

300 for inch and three quarter granite ? go for it even if you dont put it in that soudns like a good price the counter guy quoted me 1600 for my hearth granted it was a corner install thus a little bigger, but also the granite was only 3/4 inch.

Not Granite, but grey slate -- had it installed with the Mont Insert last March -- no problems so far..

Attachments

• IMG_1393_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1393_edited-1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 535
Nice looking hearth. No one will take that for granite. nyuk, nyuk yuk.

I see threads like this and I get soooooo jealous. I'm starting to sweat.

looks nice I will be installing the granite Saturday when I get it finished I will take a few pics

I like the rough cut granite. I used a piece for the base of my stove. It is 1" thick 40"X 47" and cost around $300.
I'm not sure this helps you but I wanted to post a picture of my stove.

Attachments

• jotul-f3.jpg
    jotul-f3.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 487
i agree the rough cut looks nice !!! any issues scratching cracking etc .... with the granite?

Status
Not open for further replies.