Need advice on Advantage 2 pellet stove blowing fuses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnO

Oct 21, 2009
North Pole, Ak
Hello,
I have an older Whitfield Advantage 2 pellet stove that has a 3 amp fuse assy that runs from one end of the wiring block to the other end. It will continually blow the fuse everytime I plug the unit into the wall. I don't know exactly what this protects other than the control panel possibly. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Shawn

It blows the fuse as soon as you plug it in,I'm thinking bad board.When did this problem start?Do you have a surge protector hooked to the stove,if not did you unplug it for the summer months?

I worked on an old advantage that blew fuses last year and the problem ended up being the plastic connecter to the control board. Thought it was the board, thought it was the motor, but no, it was the silly connecter on the wiring harness. Just a thought, you may wish to inspect. good luck

Delta, just curious....most stoves today use either a 5 or 6 amp fuse. Is the 3 amp one he has in the stove the right amperage for that older stove?

I just send you a e-mail, do you know the S/N of your stove. I have some wiring diagrams that could help you.

macman said:
Delta, just curious....most stoves today use either a 5 or 6 amp fuse. Is the 3 amp one he has in the stove the right amperage for that older stove?

The owners manual for the II-T (at least the latest one) lists that fuse as 3.5amp. I have to assume that they only use the 3.5 because there is a separate 6 amp fuse for the igniter. Most stove, while running (not starting up) shouldn't need to pull more than 2 amps or so, but that ignition cycle is pretty intense. Look for scorch marks on all the wiring harness connections, and make sure there isn't some silly thing grounding to the chassis or something. If you have an endless supply of fuses you could systematically remove each part and turn it on to see where the problem is, but I don't think that the way to go.

DELTA-T DID THE WIRE HAVE A BARE SPOT OR A LOOSE CONNECTOR? I WAS IN THE TV TRADE FOR 25 YEARS. I WOULD THINK ITS THE BOARD. MAYBE A SHORTED DIODE.I WOULD THINK YOU COULD TAKE THE BOARD OUT OF STOVE AND TRY IT ON THE BENCH. NOT A METAL BENCH.

blowing fuses on plugging in is a dead short from the power source , may be control board or may be a component wire grounded which has blown a trace on the board creating a source to ground through the board , first step , unplug all the wires to components from the board and see if it blows another fuse, if so its in the board , if not , plug one circuit at a time in until the fuse blows , that will tell you which circuit is at fault

Status
Not open for further replies.