Need advice on Buck stove model 91 (1992)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amadams

Nov 29, 2014
Northern california
image.jpg I recently acquired an EPA certified Buck stove model 91 manufactured in May 1992. The previous owner did not realize it was a catalytic stove so I can reasonably assume that the catalyst has not been changed in several years. It was also a slammer in stone. Install. He says it warmed the house very well. I plan to have it installed with a full chimney liner, but I'm wondering if I can run it for this season without the cat. I figure I will have to watch my burn days as it will probably produce too much smoke, I guess my real question is can the stove be restored to EPA conditions when I replace the cat.

Included photos of the exterior and top of the unit, the interior and area above the heat shield that I know also has to be replaced. I welcome and appreciate any comments suggestions or ideas.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg 20141129_080944.jpg

Last edited:
Still looking for advice. This stove was just sitting in the fireplace of the previous owner who used it for several years. He did not know it had a cat, and just started his fire (although he did open the dampers and wait about a half an hour before closing back up). I would like to know what anyone's thoughts are and whether it's worth it to install it in my fireplace. Is it ruined because of the way he used it without ever replacing the cat? I would rather not install nor put in an 8 inch chimney liner if the stove is not worth it, because the, if I get another stove that requires a 6 inch liner, I will have to redo and am just wasting cash that I do not have. He is asking $400 for the stove.

Moving this to the hearth room where maybe some Buck 91 owners will pick up on it.

Cannot speak to whether it's worth fixing up, but only to the asking price of $400: no way. He should be happy to get one bill for it. Plenty of 20-year old stoves out there for $400, in better shape, or brand new ones for under $1000.

Even if you go for it, that stove may not suit your needs in the long run and it won't last forever anyway, so consider whether you really want an 8" liner for the long haul. If you are heating a large space and are set on having a big cat that takes 8", I think there are very few other than Buck (like Blaze King King?). Stoves taking 6" are 100x more common.

Can you buy a new catalytic combustor? And how much $? So, you have $500-$700 in a totally abused old stove. No way. I'd go 6" chimney pipe and a modern stove. And stove advice is more pertinent with: climate, house design, Sqft, insulation, etc data.

Still looking for advice. This stove was just sitting in the fireplace of the previous owner who used it for several years. He did not know it had a cat, and just started his fire (although he did open the dampers and wait about a half an hour before closing back up). I would like to know what anyone's thoughts are and whether it's worth it to install it in my fireplace. Is it ruined because of the way he used it without ever replacing the cat? I would rather not install nor put in an 8 inch chimney liner if the stove is not worth it, because the, if I get another stove that requires a 6 inch liner, I will have to redo and am just wasting cash that I do not have. He is asking $400 for the stove.
You could always get a new stove with an 8 inch liner so you wouldnt have to change liner. How much square feet are you trying to heat?

Can you buy a new catalytic combustor? And how much $? So, you have $500-$700 in a totally abused old stove. No way. I'd go 6" chimney pipe and a modern stove. And stove advice is more pertinent with: climate, house design, Sqft, insulation, etc data.

My home is a 1960's long ranch, 1800 sq ft in Sacramento, ca. We do not get snow, but it can get frosty, and I like temps of 80 degrees in the winter. It will be in a 20 x 25 center room and blow down the hall into the bedrooms. Would like to use it as primary heat source for the 5-6 months I use my heater. I have replaced the 12ft slider, picture window and 8ft slider in the neighboring room, but it is still moderately drafty. New Cat is $325, but that does not count the housing or anything else that might be needed.

Cannot speak to whether it's worth fixing up, but only to the asking price of $400: no way. He should be happy to get one bill for it. Plenty of 20-year old stoves out there for $400, in better shape, or brand new ones for under $1000.

Even if you go for it, that stove may not suit your needs in the long run and it won't last forever anyway, so consider whether you really want an 8" liner for the long haul. If you are heating a large space and are set on having a big cat that takes 8", I think there are very few other than Buck (like Blaze King King?). Stoves taking 6" are 100x more common.

BK princess is what I would get in a perfect world. It has a 6" flue. I have read here that a buck is built like a tank, so that is partly why I considered it. Maybe I would be better to just wait until next season and get a new one, or not be so eager and keep looking. I have been on this site and looking for about 3weeks. For some reason, here in my neck of the woods, used stoves of this age, mostly non cat, run for $800-$1000, even "pre-epa" stoves.

BK princess is what I would get in a perfect world. It has a 6" flue. I have read here that a buck is built like a tank, so that is partly why I considered it. Maybe I would be better to just wait until next season and get a new one, or not be so eager and keep looking. I have been on this site and looking for about 3weeks. For some reason, here in my neck of the woods, used stoves of this age, mostly non cat, run for $800-$1000, even "pre-epa" stoves.
I think a Princess would be ideal for your climate, maybe you'll get lucky and find a used one.

1417393927398-309124899.jpg Plenty of 20-year old stoves out there for $400, in better shape, or brand new ones for under $1000.

Have not found inserts for less than twice that price by the time you add a door and a surround. Least expensive Vistaflame 1700 with surround was $2200. I have seen the Englander 13NCI for $1100 at Home Depot, but I am pretty sure that is without the surround, right? My fireplace is 41w x 25.5h x 21 deep. As you can see in the photo, there is a hallway to the left leading to dining room and kitchen. The other hallway leading to bathrooms and bedrooms is about 25ft away, but directly opposite the fireplace. I have some area rugs, but flooring is only tile extending past hallway you see and in the bathroom, and laminate throughout the rest of the house. Was planning to use the ceiling fans in the 3 bedrooms to draw warm air in from the hallway. I am not sure this 1500 sq ft rated Englander is large enough to produce the heat even though I would be burning mostly seasoned oak. From what I have read, the heat output is rarely what is in the specs.

Last edited:
Bucks are built like a tank, the cat housing and all of that area can be replaced if need be, yes you would be looking at some money to put into the stove, I would show that to the guy selling the stove and see if you can get him to come down on price.

http://www.buckstove.com/partsstore/home.php?cat=130

My question would be, can you fit an 8" liner down your chimney?

Bucks are built like a tank, the cat housing and all of that area can be replaced if need be, yes you would be looking at some money to put into the stove, I would show that to the guy selling the stove and see if you can get him to come down on price.

http://www.buckstove.com/partsstore/home.php?cat=130

My question would be, can you fit an 8" liner down your chimney?

I can fit a flex liner if it is oval through the damper area and an 8 inch the rest of the way. I sent the seller this thread and he is re-listing it for $100. I think for that price, I will probably take a chance on it. I will inspect and probably replace the cat (can't imagine it would be any good) and lower heat shield, and absolutely STUDY again the thread entitled "the buck stops here." May take an additional few hundred $, but that still saves off my heating bills that average$200/ month. The wood is free, dry, seasoned and ready to go. The install is materials only.

Thanks to all who responded. This site has been, and will continue to be, an invaluable resource to me. Win or lose, I'll post results.

Status
Not open for further replies.