Need advice on buying my first Pellet stove..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBiBBs5

Sep 8, 2011
Rhode Island
I have beeen doing my research on this forum for about a week now and I think I'm about ready to make my final decision on a pellet stove purchase. My options are as follows:

1) 5 year old Harman XXV for somewhere between $1500-$2000.

or

2) Brand new Enviro M55 FS (Cast Iron) for $3000.

The Harman seems to be a great deal and the owners claims to have serviced it ever year, but it is getting old. The Enviro is a multi-fuel stove so I will be future proofed. It will also come with a two year warranty.

I plan on purchasing a 32x32 slab of granite to use as a Hearth pad.

Just looking for some advice and opinions so let's hear it.....

if money is no object.
go new!
gotta love multifuelers.

Well the money does matter but I'm looking at this as an investment. I currently have forced air with gas in my raised ranch. The overall heating bill for last winter wasn't too steep but we kept the temp at about 67-68 and basically only heated the upstairs.

This spring I finished the downstairs living area and opened up the wall into the stairway. That living area has two vents in the ceiling but that is definitely not going to be enough to keep it warm down there in the wintertime. I also recently had a baby so I'd like to keep the temps in the 70s this winter.

I was looking at different options for heating when I came across this board. Now I am definitely sold on the idea of purchasing a pellet stove. It's a big purchase so I'm looking to get as much good advice as I can.

You can buy a new Heatilator or Englander stove for far less money and have good results... Eric from Kinsman Stove, a member here, can fill you in on the Heatilator's.... both sell for around $1200.00.

Krooser, thanks for the info. I just looked into the heatilators and they do have a 50k BTU model with a huge hopper. I'm not sure my wife is going to like the look of it though.

The room we'll be putting the stove in is a newly remodled living room with crown moldings and all kinds of beautiful trim. It's actually the nicest room in the house. When we saw the M55 my wife just fell in love with it. You can see a picture of the model we'd be buying below.

The closest thing I could find to it as far as looks is the Harman XXV. That is why I narrowed it down to those two choices.

One thing I did notice about the Heatilator is that it's efficiency rating is 85% which is a lot higher than the 76% on the M55. Does this mean that 9% more heat will be wasted with the M55?

Attachments

• Enviro M55.jpg
    Enviro M55.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 857
Depending on what your heating with (LP, Nat Gas, Oil, Elec) will depend on how fast your return is. We spent almost $4,000 a year on LP. By the end of the 2nd year, the stove was making money ($8,000 for LP or $4,000 for stove, hearth, flue and $1,600 for 8 ton for 2 years of burning) so $5,600 over 2 years or $8,000 with LP. Now its just what we spend in Pellets. Currently with prices low. The 4 ton we use now is only $650 ($175/ton). So we get around a $3,000 return every year. Initial investment is high. But will pay dividends in the end. We heated our whole house (ranch/2,180 sq ft/ upstairs) for 3 seasons with just the pellet stove. This year we added a Woodstove in the basement (another 2,180/only heating about 800-900 of it). We hope to reduce our pellet consumption by 20-40%.
I would go with the M55, but the Harman is also a good unit. Think of this as an investment, like you said. It will pay for itself in no time. You will be saving money, have a fire to enjoy every night, and pick up a new hobby also. Pellet burning is an obsession.

Good luck and keep us updated. Oh and welcome to the Forum. That should have been 1st. :)

JBiBBs5 said:
Krooser, thanks for the info. I just looked into the heatilator and they do have a 50k BTU model with a huge hopper. I'm not sure my wife is going to like the look of it though.

The room we'll be putting the stove in is a newly remodled living room with crown moldings and all kinds of beautiful trim. It's actually the nicest room in the house. When we saw the M55 my wife just fell in love with it. You can see a picture of the model we'd be buying below.

The closest thing I could find to it as far as looks is the Harman XXV. That is why I narrowed it down to those two choices.

One thing I did notice about the Heatilator is that it's efficiency rating is 85% which is a lot higher than the 76% on the M55. Does this mean that 9% more heat will be wasted with the M55?

These numbers are sometimes misleading. If they don't actually list the EPA results? Some manufacturer's have been known to slightly stretch the truth a little. I can say with what I have seen from the enviro stoves is they tend to stay on the lower side of their ratings or use the actual EPA findings.

What model heatilator are you looking at?

What model heatilator are you looking at?[/quote]

I was looking at the PS50..

PS-50 is a Quadrafire in disguise. All the internal workings of a Quad, but a much cheaper price tag. Won't win any beauty contests. But the Harmans without any of the "Dressings" are not real beauties either (that's my opinion). The XXV is a very nice stove because of the Cast Iron. If it were cost savings. I would go with the Heatilator. Eric at Kinsman stoves had one burning last year. I can't remember exactly how many bags/days he went without cleaning. But there is a thread about it. Forum member imacman won. But it was around a ton that each had done without touching the stove. I believe imacman went 59 days or 59 bags. Not sure. I'm sure he will tune in on that.

Again. If cost is not an issue. M55 Period! Beautiful, Flexible, And has many features that are sought after in a good stove.

DexterDay said:
....Eric at Kinsman stoves had one burning last year. I can't remember exactly how many bags/days he went without cleaning. But there is a thread about it. Forum member imacman won. But it was around a ton that each had done without touching the stove. I believe imacman went 59 days or 59 bags. Not sure. I'm sure he will tune in on that......

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/65377/

and here's the trophy Eric sent me for my 10-cpm kickin his stoves a** ;-)

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 603
I like the look and quiteness of the M55 cast, But think the M55(steel version) is slightly a better value. M55 convection blower is on the small side! IMHO. From what I hear the heatilators do a nice job as well. After all its a Quad inside.

I was impressed by my little Quad until I found my Enviro. Still totally amazed at what the Omega will eat without fuss.

hello all.
first of all thank you for this excellent forum.
we are buying a house in millinocket maine and have just begun researching the pellet stove solution.
i have read a lot here today and have pretty much settled on the heatilater ps35. (924 sq. foot house on one level)
the big e is unacceptable to the girlfriend based on appearance, and i just feel so far that i will prefer the ps35 to the englander at the same price point.
there is a dealer in bangor who will install and service the warranty. but also one in hulton and one in brewer.

i am not done reading/learning by any stretch. but it is great to know things about proper venting, outside air and other issues.

well. onto the questions of storage of bulk pellets and maine dealer preferences.
thanks again,
wes.

St_Earl said:
hello all.
first of all thank you for this excellent forum.
we are buying a house in millinocket maine and have just begun researching the pellet stove solution.
i have read a lot here today and have pretty much settled on the heatilater ps35. (924 sq. foot house on one level)

i am not done reading/learning by any stretch. but it is great to know things about proper venting, outside air and other issues.
but the big e is unacceptable to the girlfriend based on appearance, and i just feel so far that i will prefer the ps35 to the englander at the same price point.
there is a dealer in bangor who will install and service the warranty. but also one in hulton and one in brewer.

well. onto the questions of storage of bulk pellets and maine dealer preferences.
thanks again,
wes.

Wes, first of all, welcome to the forum. However, you should start a new thread to properly introduce yourself and discuss stoves, and ask question about your own situation, IMO.

That said, I think your girlfriend would prefer a much nicer looking, MULTI-FUEL stove like this....yes, it's an Englander:

www.amfmenergy.com/49trcpm--multifuel-stove--2200492200.html

Attachments

• 10cpm.png
    10cpm.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 556
thanks for the welcome.
i think i will indeed start a thread of my own. just have a habit from a few other sites (not hearth related sites) of trying to condense things.
well. off to do just that.

So I've decided on the black M55. I was originally going to go with the chestnut model but it would have cost an extra $350 and wouldn't be available until at least mid October.

I also order the brick liner and ceramic logs so this should end up being one sharp looking stove.

It will be sitting on top of a 44"x44" slab of granite (1" thick).

I'll post some pics next Sunday night after install is complete.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-11 at 5.48.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-11 at 5.48.11 PM.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 465
As for the Log set. You will find that during heating season, that it only gets in the way. I tried to use mine the 1st year... But about 2 months in, I was tired of removing them and cleaning them every time i cleaned the stove... So now, I just put them in during the off season... Looks good in the Summer time..

During the Winter, the Fire is enough to look at. IMO. There are others that feel this way also. some keep them in.. But I dont know how??

Attachments

• #1 Pellet Stove.jpg
    #1 Pellet Stove.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 575
  • Done-till next year.jpg
    Done-till next year.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG00096-20110105-1724.jpg
    IMG00096-20110105-1724.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 498
They sure aren't cheap either. I paid $150 for the logs and brick liner.

Just about $100 (I think a little more) for the Quad logs.. Yes they cost money.. They do look good in the stove. Just get in my way.. This is my opinion. Yours may be different. But I know several members that do not use during season. Its a PITA. You may have good luck with them. But the Ash from a pellet stove goes everywhere. So the logs must be taken out and cleaned everytime you clean your stove. I have a cream colored carpet, so ash/black stuff on the carpet is a no-no... Depends on your stove/set-up, on whether it works out or not...

DexterDay said:
As for the Log set. You will find that during heating season, that it only gets in the way. I tried to use mine the 1st year... But about 2 months in, I was tired of removing them and cleaning them every time i cleaned the stove... So now, I just put them in during the off season... Looks good in the Summer time..

During the Winter, the Fire is enough to look at. IMO. There are others that feel this way also. some keep them in.. But I dont know how??

Beautiful looking stove and set up!

DexterDay said:
Just about $100 (I think a little more) for the Quad logs.. Yes they cost money.. They do look good in the stove. Just get in my way.. This is my opinion. Yours may be different. But I know several members that do not use during season. Its a PITA. You may have good luck with them. But the Ash from a pellet stove goes everywhere. So the logs must be taken out and cleaned everytime you clean your stove. I have a cream colored carpet, so ash/black stuff on the carpet is a no-no... Depends on your stove/set-up, on whether it works out or not...

I do like the buckets with the pellets in them. Where did you pick those up?

We wanted that "Franklin Stove" look, but at the time, there were none available, and while I could have back ordered one, they were wicked expensive as compared to the stove deal I did end up with. This stove is in the family room. So we have the black box, but it has some chrome trim and bay windows, not really bad to look at. We tried to fancy it up with the fake logs, but soon realized what a PITA they are. They are sitting on the floor behind the stove for the past three years. I also bought a fancy back drop for inside the stove, but that never was installed after I read some threads about some other's experiences with them.
If I had to replace this stove, I would be looking at heat output, multifuel, and cost, then what is said about them in this forum. Hopefully, that won't be needed for a few more years. My entire system paid for itself in savings the first year. We are now starting our 4th year. I don't think I would abandon pellet burning, even if oil became less expensive. Pellet heat is much more comfortable.
Enjoy the experience of your new stove!

JBBiBs5. I picked the buckets up at my local Do it Best hardware store. Its a simple Coal Hod or Ash bucket. They were about $17 a piece. They were/are for decoration. Although last season when my Wife was pregnant with our 2nd. She used them, because they only hold a half of a bag of pellets (20 lbs). That was only when I was not home to load. I used them a couple times in the morning, if I was running a little late and didn't want to run down the basement steps to grab a bag.

They also had Galvanized buckets. If you like the galvanized/stainless look. But my stove is all black and I wanted to keep the theme going. The all black does not bother me. Even with it not dressed up, I get many compliments from friends and family that stop by.

In the Off season, the logs and the buckets give it a touch of character. As you can see by Saves$ comment. The logs are a Pain. As are the back boards (ash gets behind there too/needs cleaned). You will not know whether it works for you or not, until season starts. Some don't mind it. But most use them Summer only. Either way, I am glad I bought the logs. It gives it that little something to look at when not burning.

Also years down the road, when you go to sell this unit. The new buyer will look at it. The same way we all did when we bought our 1st stove. So its still a Win/Win situation.

Those Coal hods come in many variations. Some have lids, brass handles, etc. I didn't get the cheapest. But I didn't break the bank either. Go on www.northlineexpress.com they have some on there website. I have ordered many different things through them. Free shipping over $100 and never more than 2-3 days w/free shipping.

DexterDay said:

That would look really nice in gold trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.