Need advice on dialing in a buck27000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osagebndr

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2014
Central Indiana
Hello . I've been lurking this site for a while and watching various threads on older buck stoves like mine. Been trying various methods of running the stove. I've managed to figure out is it puts out amazing heat and can run as hard or gently as I want. Have yet to get more than 3-4 hour burns out of it. I really love this stove although it is my first one and heating with wood is the best thing I've done with my home since we bought it. I would appreciate any input greatly. Thanks

Hello . I've been lurking this site for a while and watching various threads on older buck stoves like mine. Been trying various methods of running the stove. I've managed to figure out is it puts out amazing heat and can run as hard or gently as I want. Have yet to get more than 3-4 hour burns out of it. I really love this stove although it is my first one and heating with wood is the best thing I've done with my home since we bought it. I would appreciate any input greatly. Thanks

Tell us the process you go through in starting, reaching cruising temperature, shutting down and your current wood supply, including species and seasoning.
Interior or exterior chimney? Liner or not?

Ok here goes. I start with small splits off a coal bed, once their going I fill about 2/3 with med and large splits ( more med than lg) usually takes an hour or so to reach 350-400 with air draft at half and damper open. Then I shut down draft gradually and damper same to closed on both . Takes 20 min to do it . I'm using red / hard maple to heat. Get maybe 5 hour burns. The flue is 11.5 ft out of stove to top. Stove pipe is double wall black dsp to double wall insulated supervent class a(8 ft of the class a pipe) . Thanks for the quick response gzecc . Hope that helps out

Ok here goes. I start with small splits off a coal bed, once their going I fill about 2/3 with med and large splits ( more med than lg) usually takes an hour or so to reach 350-400 with air draft at half and damper open. Then I shut down draft gradually and damper same to closed on both . Takes 20 min to do it . I'm using red / hard maple to heat. Get maybe 5 hour burns. The flue is 11.5 ft out of stove to top. Stove pipe is double wall black dsp to double wall insulated supervent class a(8 ft of the class a pipe) . Thanks for the quick response gzecc . Hope that helps out

I might change two of your techniques. Fill completely with wood (not 2/3s). Don't start with small splits then add more. Fill completely with smaller on the bottom.
If you have a moisture meter, I assume your red oak is approx 20%. If no moisture meter, its should be split and staked in single rows off the ground and in the sun for at least 2 yrs.
Over all sounds like your getting out what your putting in.

Thanks for the reply again ill try that and maybe crack the door til it gets going you think?

Thanks for the reply again ill try that and maybe crack the door til it gets going you think?

Forgot that. Definetely crack the door. It will get up to temp much faster.

Alright I'll try that tonite . Thanks again for the advice. I've come to learn a lot from this site lots of knowledge for the beginner and experienced alike

Well I used the advice given yesterday and gained another hour of burn time. Pretty cool( or warm lol) . Thanks again for the advice it's greatly appreciated

I believe I'm coming into it got 6.5 hour burn last nite. Woke up to a nice bed of coals and started it back up

I believe I'm coming into it got 6.5 hour burn last nite. Woke up to a nice bed of coals and started it back up

I did a small load last night at 1130pm with couple of big locust, some pine and maple. Maybe 3/4 full.
Its now 11:22am the next day and the stove top is still warm to the touch. Its because of the locust.

My 28000 may be a different beast, but:

Start kindling,and leave door cracked. Damper and flue full open.
Once going, load full with splits, close doors, close flue fully (last position) lave damper full open.
Once she gets to 400, I close the damper fully and she will cruise between 400 and 450 for 3 hours. Then, when temp drops to 300, I reload full and she will slowly climb back to 400 and cruise there for 6 hours with no further adjustments.

I've been building on top of what I have going in the stove. I ll fill it leave the door cracked to get the load up to 400 and damp it Down at the flue and doors around 930 pm and wake up to coals at 430 am the stove is still at 250-300 when I get up. Where are you putting your stove thermometer. Mines on the door

I've been building on top of what I have going in the stove. I ll fill it leave the door cracked to get the load up to 400 and damp it Down at the flue and doors around 930 pm and wake up to coals at 430 am the stove is still at 250-300 when I get up. Where are you putting your stove thermometer. Mines on the door

I put my thermo on the upper left of the door

Just had a new experience withy stove. I went to town and my mother- in- law loaded the stove up when I got home it was running hard at 650-700 deg. Opened the doors for awhile and cooled it down. It had white coals in it , I told her she had hit a personal best lol. Don't know if that's too hot or not but it was too hot for my liking

Just had a new experience withy stove. I went to town and my mother- in- law loaded the stove up when I got home it was running hard at 650-700 deg. Opened the doors for awhile and cooled it down. It had white coals in it , I told her she had hit a personal best lol. Don't know if that's too hot or not but it was too hot for my liking

That is very hot. I believe that will burn up the motor oil. Then the motor will go bad. Might be a good idea to oil the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.