Need advice on Englandar 25-PDVC Lower Auger Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwshiel

Jan 4, 2008
New Mexico
Hi,
I have read prior postings as recommended. However, still scratching my head. Just purchased a used England 25-PDVC which was running fine at the home where I purchased from. I did install yesterday in my mother's home and have multiple problems that I can't isolate.
1) Pellets were of poor quality and would not stay lit.
-I emptied unit of all pellets and filled with proven pellets that I use on another pellet stove
2) Tried again but bottom auger stopped turning
-concern that poor grade pellets caused this however auger does move freely when turn with hand (~1/4 turn)
-bottom auger motor very hot compared to top auger motor
-bottom auger motor shows signs of being tapped by hammer?

Could just the bottom auger stop turning because I had door open trying to problem solve?
Now I am concerned because top auger motor could be compacting pellets into bottom auger area (possibly burn out top auger motor)?
Should I assume that bottom auger motor is bad (getting power because hot, and auger not jammed)
Should I disconnect top auger motor and try and get bottom auger moving on it's own?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

rwshiel said:
Hi,
I have read prior postings as recommended. However, still scratching my head. Just purchased a used England 25-PDVC which was running fine at the home where I purchased from. I did install yesterday in my mother's home and have multiple problems that I can't isolate.
-I emptied unit of all pellets and filled with proven pellets that I use on another pellet stove
-concern that poor grade pellets caused this however auger does move freely when turn with hand (~1/4 turn)

Could just the bottom auger stop turning because I had door open trying to problem solve?
Now I am concerned because top auger motor could be compacting pellets into bottom auger area (possibly burn out top auger motor)?
Should I assume that bottom auger motor is bad (getting power because hot, and auger not jammed)
Should I disconnect top auger motor and try and get bottom auger moving on it's own?

the stove will stop feeding pellets if the door is left open.......keep door shut and trouble shoot from there.

Will both screws stop with the door open?

Leadfoot said:
Will both screws stop with the door open?

Good question! The top auger continues to turn with door open. Bottom auger stops. This is why I am concerned
about top auger compacting pellets into bottom auger area. What are your thoughts regarding top auger continuing to
turn, but not bottom auger?
Thanks
Rob

HEMI said:
rwshiel said:
Hi,

the stove will stop feeding pellets if the door is left open.......keep door shut and trouble shoot from there.

Thanks for your response! I will close door and try start up again.
Rob

Problem with bottom auger continues...I had success in starting up unit. It appeared to work properly
for about 20 minutes. Then top auger continued to operate and bottom auger seemed to stop. The bottom
auger motor seemed to be much hotter than top auger motor. Flame went out because not enough
pellets were entering pot (at 9, 9, settings) and top auger continued to
turn. It appeared that the the top auger motor then had more of a load on it and I shut the unit down fearing
that the top auger was simply compacting pellets to the lower auger area.

Do you think the lower auger motor is bad? Not sure how it normally fails (partial, like my situation).

Also, room temperature was at 72 degrees which according to
manual says the unit will go into shut down mode. However, shut down mode should include the top auger stopping
(which it did not). Settings were 9 heat 9 blower. Good pellets are being used and I am certain there is not a
pellet jam in bottom auger (auger moves freely when turn counter clockwise approx 1/4 turn).

Thanks again for your responses, I really appreciate your input.
Rob

i'm new here but had the same problem when i first used the stove (25pdv)is the motor spinning? if it is there are 2 allen heads in the collar the goes around the motor shaft i had to tighten the allen heads and have had no problems so far. hope this helps

Rick

If the collar screws are not the problem I`d have to say it`s the auger motor. You can try switching them to determine if you have a bad one. That`s how we found the problem. Yours sounds identical to what we experienced.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Thanks for all your help . Thought i would post a follow up to solution. Turns out it is a bad lower auger motor.
I could see scrape marks on motor from previous owner. Anyway, I tapped on motor with a hammer and it began to
work. Pretty nice of the prior owner to "NOT MENTION THIS!"

Motor will have to be replaced. It only runs for a couple of minutes until it stops again. For others new to this problem
you should avoid letting unit run for long periods of time under these conditions. The top auger motor works too hard trying
to crunch pellets into lower auger feed area with lower motor not running. I noticed that upper motor strains under these conditions.
In other words, remember that lower auger motor should always be turning.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Rob
New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.