Need advice on gas insert!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfire

Nov 28, 2007
Northern CA
We are going to purchase a gas insert (for our masonry fireplace). Local brands are Majestic, Regency,Fireplace Xtrordinair and Valor. Valor and Majestic seem to be $1000+ less than the others. Any help!!! We have a two story house, but the fireplace will primarily be used to heat our Family Room/Kitchen area (42 x 15). We do have a double door size entrance directly across the fireplace which leads to our entrance hall which has the staircase leading to our second story. Thanks. SJ

Make sure its direct vent. Pick the one you like the looks of the best, and also pick your dealer. Make sure they have a dedicated service staff that can fix the insert when things go wrong. Gas inserts need regular service so you don't want to be left on your own.

I did not really see a question in your first post?

I wanted to get any input on the brands I listed. However, your comments about service will really help me. One of the dealers really has a full approach to sales, installation and service. The other is more of a warehouse (and the prices are LESS). I was not aware that inserts required any service beyond the first installation. SJ

I am not familiar with any of the brands you listed so that's all I can offer. Gas inserts need service just like a furnace. Only problem is there is not 15 places in every town that service fireplaces. Then each fireplace dealer might only service certain brands so you really need to have a dealer that will sell and provide service.

Status
Not open for further replies.