1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Need advice on Hearthstone Sterling stove

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by rebecca, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebecca

rebecca New Member

Loc:
    Colorado (Front Range)
    Hi,

I have a Hearthstone Sterling gas stove with a B-vent. I want to move it to a different part of my house but where I want to move it (to the basement), I can't put a chimney to the roof. I called one local installer and they said that it can't be converted to anything else (direct vent). Is that really true that there's no other way to use it without a chimney up to the roof?

And if that's the case - is there a market for such a used stove? It was made around 1995/1996 and has blue/gray soapstone. Used lightly. What would something like that be worth, if I could even sell it?

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    First of all, I'd be hesitant to put a B-vent in a basement...
    B-vent is a natural draft appliance & with the problems we see
    when wood stoves or inserts are installed in basement locations,
    you may have some CO to deal with...
    Just my HO & I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on this...
  3. Tin_courier

Tin_courier New Member

Loc:
    Portland, OR
    I agree with Daksy, could be an issue to put a B-vent in a basement, but it sounds like you can't make the vent run vertically anyway. As for converting from b-vent to direct vent, I've never heard of any manufacturer that allows this to be done.

As a rule, B-vent always needs to terminate vertically and meet certain termination clearances. There may or may not be a way to do that in your installation, but I'm pretty sure Hearthstone will tell you you can't convert it to DV.

As for resale, I think it's reasonable to list for $200-$300 on CL or classifieds. Unfortunately, I think you'd be hard-pressed to get much more than that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.