Need advice on Hearthstone Sterling stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rebecca

May 1, 2009
Colorado (Front Range)
Hi,

I have a Hearthstone Sterling gas stove with a B-vent. I want to move it to a different part of my house but where I want to move it (to the basement), I can't put a chimney to the roof. I called one local installer and they said that it can't be converted to anything else (direct vent). Is that really true that there's no other way to use it without a chimney up to the roof?

And if that's the case - is there a market for such a used stove? It was made around 1995/1996 and has blue/gray soapstone. Used lightly. What would something like that be worth, if I could even sell it?

Thanks!

First of all, I'd be hesitant to put a B-vent in a basement...
B-vent is a natural draft appliance & with the problems we see
when wood stoves or inserts are installed in basement locations,
you may have some CO to deal with...
Just my HO & I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on this...

I agree with Daksy, could be an issue to put a B-vent in a basement, but it sounds like you can't make the vent run vertically anyway. As for converting from b-vent to direct vent, I've never heard of any manufacturer that allows this to be done.

As a rule, B-vent always needs to terminate vertically and meet certain termination clearances. There may or may not be a way to do that in your installation, but I'm pretty sure Hearthstone will tell you you can't convert it to DV.

As for resale, I think it's reasonable to list for $200-$300 on CL or classifieds. Unfortunately, I think you'd be hard-pressed to get much more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.