Need advice on installation, wood insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessek21

Sep 22, 2010
seattle
I have been looking around the Seattle area for a wood insert for my basement on Craigslist for awhile. I have a few general questions about purchasing a insert and installation.

Going to look at one today. It is an Avalon insert with a front blower. Anything to look for in particular?

Then looking to install chimney piping...

The insert would go into an existing hearth in the basement of the house. I would estimate about ~ 17 ft to the top of the chimney from the insert. The chimney is a brick and has 2 flues in it.

My question is how much would it cost for materials to install it in the chimney? From what I have been reading I would need single wall piping and not double since it is in the chimney.

Would places like Home Depot or Lowes have the best pricing on the piping?

Thanks.

Avalon is a good brand, made by Travis Industries. I'd check the fire brick and the baffle (the top/inside portion of the firebox) and the secondary burn tubes (assuming this model has burn tubes) for wear and tear. Look for any obvious signs of over firing, such as warping, cracked welds, white spots, etc.

For lining the chimney, you'd want to look at a stainless steel liner. You'll want to have the flue tiles cleaned and inspected before lining.

That will depend on the length needed and whether or not you go with flexible or rigid. Insulating the liner can add some cost, but it is usually a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.