Need advice on Lopi Leyden woodstove ash pan gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jun 18, 2016
Kentucky
Hi all, I have a Lopi Leyden that I've had for years. I've never had an issue with too much air but it I believe the gasket on the ash pan is bad. The pull out ash pan itself has now warped to boot. Anyway, I did the dollar test on it, which I'm assuming lay a dollar over it, close it, and see if you can pull the dollar out easily (I can). I've never had to do any gasket replacement other than when I take out the rear block when cleaning.

Can anyone advise where to get a replacement gasket, and are there generic ones I can buy? What is the size? I can't find anything on the internet for that specific gasket as of yet. I'm assuming this is the white gasket that is on the top when you pull out the drawer. I have no idea what to get and have to keep carefully using the stove until I get a replacement or I'd try pulling the old one out.

I'm guessing I can contact Travis Industries and pay a premium on the part so I'll do that if I have no recourse.

Any help is greatly appreciated on this!

Do a dollar bill test with the Ashpan removed.

Thanks Webby, I have done so. Same deal. I've ordered a new ashpan.

I have been able to get it to shut a little tighter today (ashpan is in) by raising it a bit when closing it. It may be that the drawer itself needs adjustment. I still would love to know the dimensions of the gasket and where to get one.

Check behind the ashpan to make sure that there is no packed ash at the rear of the ashpan housing. The Lopi dealer should have the new gasket or be able to order it for you.

Thanks begreen, I checked that, its clear back there. Checked with the Lopi dealer today, they said 8 weeks delay in getting any parts. I have no idea whats up over there. I've checked another dealer that sells Lopi stuff, waiting to hear something back.

The heater itself has done a decent job for about 8 years but with aggravation (expensive parts mainly) ....this is the last Lopi/Travis industries product I'll ever buy. If I can make this one hold out another year (or maybe just get through the winter) I think I'm going to buy a Jotul F50.

And just now called Travis Industries, they advised they did not sell parts directly but would transfer me to someone to help. Then got hung up on lol. All this for a simple gasket!

Take the gasket to your hearth store and buy the closest thing you can find. Any dealer should have tons of gasket in stock. The Leyden is an old design that was a piece of crap design from Vermont castings. It sucks, I know first hand.. I wouldn’t overlook the current Lopi models though. They’ve had a solid non cat design for years.

Thank you Webby. My semi-local lopi dealer where I bought it are the ones that advised 8 weeks for anything I order, and they did not advise of anything in stock (I think they are mostly a display type store with no stock other than heaters). I've adjusted the latch and I think I have it under control for now, though I have to get it really really tight and it still leaks a little.

Also, I really appreciate the advice on the current Lopi models, but if I'm honest I'm set in my ways....when I spend alot on a product and ends up being a disappointment, they become dead to me. I really love the top loaders, so my next one will very likely be the Jotul F50. I may research the newer Lopis but I honestly don't trust them now after years of expensive parts needing replacement way too often.