Need advice on next steps...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Manoadventure

Mar 1, 2019
Helen GA
I currently have a 1,000 sq foot cabin (but adding additional space in basement soon) in North Georgia Mountains with a very very old Vermont Castings Defiant stove (pictures below). I am just in the process of getting the roof done so I figured, this would be the perfect time to move the wood stove about 10 feet to the exterior wall so it's not sitting in the middle of our living space... I called up a local company to come out and inspect the stove and give some advice and I honestly learned a lot considering I didn't know much about it.

It's gotta be around an 85' or older and missing key parts, basically, the thing is running on 'high' non-stop and uses an 8" pipe. Granted, I only use it for days it is below freezing (this year has been many) but it'll burn through like 12-15 logs in 10 hours keeping this house warm when the heat pump cannot keep up. So the company mentioned my pipes are rusting, very old and not great material / will be a safety hazard... basically to replace the pipes and move the current stove 10 feet it's going to be about $3,000 (was NOT expecting this much just for the current stove).

Now they tried to sell me on a Green Mountain 2019 model that supposedly burns up to 24 hours. But with that and the 6 inch pipe + install it's going to be about $5,000 (way way more than I was expecting). They recommend upgrading due to the age of my unit and not being able to find replacement parts.

So now my dilemma is what to do. I think it's probably worth it to find a budget unit that can heat the house and provide better burn times so I can actually use this thing around the clock next winter and not rely on heat pump at all. If I can get by using less than 10 logs a night, perfect! I'm assuming these newer units are going to really solve that issue?

I don't know much about this unit, perhaps someone here does? If a newer Englander or Drolet will outperform this for under $1,000 I don't see why it's not worth upgrading and trashing this one, but I am new to wood stoves.

Ideally, I wouldn't want to spend more than $3,000 for the entire new unit (pipes, install, hearth pad, etc.) so perhaps installing the pipe kit myself would be cheaper. But I realize I also need to prep the wall with concrete board and faux stone before I can install it all.

Mostly, this is one of many projects (this one I wasn't expecting to have to spend much on). We have a deck to replace, a wedding next February and roof starting soon... But once I get the roof replaced and take down this chimney, it has to be up before next winter or we may have some cold nights.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 174
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 184
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 188
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 153
I would definitely want to get a new stove if I were you.

The least expensive answer is going to be to leave the stove where it is and put in a new 30nc and a new flue. (This is cheaper because you are not redoing the hearth and the roof penetration)- although honestly you may need a fairly small stove to fit on that hearth without modification. (Can't really tell how big it is in the photos, so maybe not.)

So given that you are looking at modifying the hearth anyway, and you're doing the roof anyway.... it's a good time to move the stove. The best cost-saving measure I have for you is to do the work yourself, especially the hearth.

My next step would be to pick a few stoves and review their required clearances and floor protection, then make a final decision as to whether the stove is moving and where. You want all those decisions made before the roof happens.

Reactions: Dix
You should be able to replace with a value stove from Englander or Drolet and get better heat using less wood. There is a caveat though, the wood must be fully seasoned to get proper performance from the stove. If you can properly install the new system yourself, then your budget is fine. Go straight up with the flue for the best performance and lower cost.

Reactions: Dix
I would trade that thing to the scrap collector for $35 and invest in newer stove.

I would "invest" some time into youtube videos and research to move the new stove (partial to NC30), install new pipes, and lay new hearth myself.

I would NOT hesitate to ask any questions here, just so long as I took good pictures. (Pictures help SO much).

I WOULD buy lots of beer with the $1000s that I saved and now be able to enjoy a FIREVIEW.

Awesome, thank you all that seems to be a good idea. Looks like the NC30 is a pretty popular choice. Also been looking at Drolet, but not sure yet which one I'd want to go with.

If I lived near to you I would take that stove. I have an old broken defiant I want to rebuild before all of the parts are gone.

What BG & Jetsam said.

Time to say goodbye.

I'm partial to Englander. Depending on your sleeping habits. either a 13 or a 30 would fill the bill.

Welcome to the forums !!! :)

What BG & Jetsam said.

Time to say goodbye.

I'm partial to Englander. Depending on your sleeping habits. either a 13 or a 30 would fill the bill.

Welcome to the forums !!! :)

To be honest, not like my current one can go more than 3 hours at a time lol so anything over that is greaaatt.

But... would be cool to rely on it more and get that heat pump bill down. You feel like the Englander doesn’t last through night on average?

Also any advice on good shops and types of chimney kits that make installation easy and not too pricey for these newer stoves? I will just be going straight up like the other. I think it’s got about 4’ grade a on roof (new roof being metal) and about 19’ inside single wall pipe.

To be honest, not like my current one can go more than 3 hours at a time lol so anything over that is greaaatt.

But... would be cool to rely on it more and get that heat pump bill down. You feel like the Englander doesn’t last through night on average?

Englander 13 ~ 4 to 5 hours heat
Englander 30 ~ 8 to 9 hours heat

He was just referring if you wake up anyways in the middle of the night a 13 might fit better as on a warmer day it wont cook you out.

If you sleep through the night a 30 might be better but might be a little robust on warmer days.

Can always build small fire in large housing, but not large fire in a small.

He was just referring if you wake up anyways in the middle of the night a 13 might fit better as on a warmer day it wont cook you out.

Correction.

She.

:cool:

Reactions: MAD MARK

The 13, max burn 4-5 on good firewood... 6 for a coal bed restart. Unless you get up at night / are home during the day to feed it.

And I agree, a smalled fire in the 30, will still get you throught the night.

I live in east Georgia near Athens. I have a 30-NC. They will be going on sale in the next few months at Home Depot. I paid $750 for mine in late spring ( right now it priced at $999 on their website}. I had it shipped to the store and picked it up using a trailer.
If you have help you could use a furniture dolly or an appliance hand truck to move it. It weighs 425 lbs.
It is rated for 2400 sq ft so it could be too warm for a well insulated 1000 sq ft cabin. But when it gets down to 10 F with a strong wind it may be just right, especially if the power goes out.
If you are cutting wood or buying it, get some now to start it drying. Firewood prices should be dropping since we are into spring.

Reactions: WinterinWI
Awesome, thank you all that seems to be a good idea. Looks like the NC30 is a pretty popular choice. Also been looking at Drolet, but not sure yet which one I'd want to go with.

Another option is SBI Century FW3000. SBI makes Drolet, Osburn and others. $250 less then the NC30 and with a 2.4 firebox it will easily take care of 1,000 sq ft. Also, SBI service is very knowledgeable and accessible. Had a couple chipped bricks, small chips not broken or cracked, when stove was delivered and they shipped out a couple replacements and a couple extras, no charge. Had several pre-sales questions and they were helpful then also.

If you have some skills and research chimney installs on this forum, you can install it yourself.

Thanks for that recommendation! I was leaning big time towards the Englander, I like the burn times but specifically how popular it seems to be for a budget option I don’t think it’s going to be hard to find installation info or help when I may need it. I will do more research on the SB