Need Advice On Pellet Stoves :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhreagh

Nov 6, 2014
Yellowknife, NT
Today, I was dissapointed to realize that the wiseways pellet stove just might not work for me. Now I need as much advice as possible on my heating options for the below project.

I am building a 6x15ft mobile home for Canada's North. Tired of the poor housing insulation and construction quality, insanely overpriced rental and buying options, and ridiculous utility and heating bills, I am redesiging the way I live. I will be an energy leech no longer! As you can imagine, in temps of -30C to -50C for 4 months a year- this presents some unique difficulties. I have no fear of cooking outdoors in summer, eating raw food in winter and cooking at friends, or handwashing clothes, etc.

In an effort to have THE SMALLEST possible footprint and associated costs, I am building my house with foot thick, spray insulated, walls, floor, and roof. My biggest energy splurge will be a total of two, triple paned, windows (One bay and one skylight to view Northern Lights). The roof will be covered in solar panels- producing loads of electricity in summer, but during the black winters, it is not dependable at all. (Ie, I could not use this supply to run a pellet stove electrically) The idea is that the electricity produced by the solar panels and a small windmill will produce enough electricity during the day to charge the battery that will run a light, small stereo, and charging dock for phone and a laptop in the evening hours.

The wiseways stove seemed so perfect, gravity fed (no electricity) zero clearance against the wall, and could run for 36 hours on a low setting, AND, with an addition, it could even heat the water for washing clothes and washing up! The problem is, as the creator recently confirmed, it will be FAR too warm for this square footage. Wood burning stoves tend to require constant attention, while my job sometimes has me away from the house a day or two at a time, and the trees in this location take too long to grow, anyways, to make that an environmentally conscious alternative. I need all the help I can get here guys, my dream home I am set to build next summer is falling apart!

I have to wonder about pellet supplies in the NT?

Pellets are mostly trucked up. Haven't heard of any made in town. But the damage to the environment that burning the trees here would do isn't great either. The immediate impact is nit so visible, but trees here are extremely slow growing. It's a bit of a conundrum. This is why at least with pellets, I feel as though I can source a pallet load of recycled material pellets etc. Also, pellets seem like a more reliably constant level of heat in a small place, should I be at work. Living in the North is NOT efficient aside from going back to shivering in a quinzi, so there is going to be a sacrifice somewhere here. :/

Pellets are mostly trucked up. Haven't heard of any made in town. But the damage to the environment that burning the trees here would do isn't great either. The immediate impact is nit so visible, but trees here are extremely slow growing. It's a bit of a conundrum. This is why at least with pellets, I feel as though I can source a pallet load of recycled material pellets etc. Also, pellets seem like a more reliably constant level of heat in a small place, should I be at work. Living in the North is NOT efficient aside from going back to shivering in a quinzi, so there is going to be a sacrifice somewhere here. :/
Maybe consider a masonry stove? Check out the link on a pasivhous built in Fairbanks. http://www.reina-llc.com/projects/sunrise/pictures/?pp_fID_174=69 LOTS of insulation! And heated almost exclusively via solar!

Status
Not open for further replies.