Need advice on stove size.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.M2

Feb 3, 2008
WV
I'm new to wood heat.
My house is 900 sq. ft. The floor plan is very divided.
All rooms have doors which will be open and I plan to use doorway fans, ceiling fans, etc. to warm the house.

My concern is that the stove will overheat the room it is going to be installed in.
The room is 11'X21'. The whole house is very well insulated.

I'm looking at the quadrafire 2100 which heats 900 to 1500 sq. ft. approx.

I've read about "flash" fires to get the chill off and long burning fires to last overnight.

How hot can I expect this room to get? Should I buy a smaller stove that maxes out at 900 sq. ft.?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hmm! Firebox on that stove is only 1.4cu/ft so burn times are going to be short. I'm heating a similar area with an insert with a 1.8cu/ft firebox and the climate is warmer here than there (my February is like your April) but I don't feel overheated (at the minute it's 82 in here and my missus is on the sofa covered with a blanket).

I've got fans to distribute the heat but the other rooms don't get anywhere near as warm (64 at the minute, midnight).

Hi MrM2,

Welcome to the forum. Generally speaking, the sq. ft. coverage estimate provided by your stove manufacturer is overstated. Sounds like you might be on track with the 2100. I bought the largest Quad that is advertized to heat up to 3500 sf. I heat about 2500 sf. with it. And when it gets into single digit temps there is not a lot of reserve left. Other members will chime in after the game and help you more precisely. In the mean time you could work on a floor plan of your house to post. Also check the archives, do a search. The more info you can provide the better (insulation, leaks, age of home, state where you live, type of chimney, and etc.)

well, you can figure approx. 800 sq ft per 1 cubic ft of fire box "realisticly" manufacturers will say 1000ft, but thats with everything being in a very good state. such as insulation drafts being limited etc. I believe you will be fine with the 2100. you can always build a smaller fire in a lrg box, but you can't build a big fire in a little one! I would always sugest to some one to go one size larger than what you think you need. and like Ron just noted, depends a lot on your situation..weather,leaks,chimney etc

Hey Ron, are you Augusta north of Kalamazoo?

Thanks for the input so far.
This forum is awesome. I've found the answers here I haven't found in a week searching google.

The chimney is double walled stove pipe into triple walled stainless (I think that is the correct description).

It is a straight shot up through the roof. The attic is very well insulated too.
While I do have some air leaks around doors, outlets, windows, etc., they are minimal.
The house is a ranch.

When I was a kid, I had an uncle who had a wood burning stove in one room of his house which was 90+ degrees all of the time.
I don't want my living room to be like that.

I'm not sure if I'm correct in my thinking but I'd like to have a small fire during the day for "space" heating in the living room, where the stove is, and
before bed, fill it up so the back of the house (bedrooms) stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.