Need advice on stove sizing ( Enviro Omega specifically )...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamegrabber

Apr 13, 2008
Northshore, Ma.
Hello,

I have a ~900 square foot 2 bedroom ranch that I want to heat with a pellet stove. It has a full basement but I plan on installing the stove on the first floor since we don't use the basement and it does flood from time to time. I don't want to worry about wet pellets.

The stove will be installed in at one end of a 575 square foot ( fairly large ) room, with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom at the other end of the 575 square foot room.

And at another the other end/diagonal corner is the kitchen. So the stove isn't close to any of the adjoining rooms.

All living area in on this floor totals ~900 square feet and the bedrooms and bathroom are a bit far flung from the stove location.

Now, I really like the Enviro Omega and ordered it based on the good reviews it has received here on this board.

The big hopper, self cleaning burn pot, big ash pan, low maintenence, etc., etc.

I had a Quadra fire dealer come to my house a while back and see the layout. He said due to the layout and some drafty areas near where the stove would sit, 35k BTU's would NOT be enough. He said 45k should work.

So I figured 60k BTU's would be overkill and I like some overkill incase we ever need it for additional rooms, etc.

Plus that means I could run a bigger stove on a lower setting and with the big hopper Omega has I could go at least 3 days before needing to refill.

So my question is, is the Omega too much for the total 900 square feet or can I run it at what ever setting/temp I'll need?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

FG.

Status
Not open for further replies.