Need Advice on Surround for New Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I just got a new insert installed.
There is gap on top between the surround and drywall.
I plan to cover it with tile and also have the tile go down the sides.
The bottom however, I think I might try to get some metal fabbed to make it look more uniform.
Would tile look good on the bottom? I think it might lead to a 'floating' look for the insert, may or may not be good.

Any suggestions? I' sure this has come up before.

Pic below.

Attachments

• P3160122.JPG
    P3160122.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 538
Maybe you could have a piece of sheet-metal bent up to fit and just paint it. or tile it with the same tile that you are using. Good luck!

Thanks.
MSG, I don't understand. I probably wasn't clear though.
The surround sticks out just a tad from the wall: enough for a tile thickness for sure.
My plan would be to overlap the surround onto the tile, so I would take off the surround, install tile, then reinstall tile.
I'm just really not sure what to do about the bottom, which has no surround currently, just the black base of the zero clearance fireplace: flat-black metal piece, tile, or ?

IC now, the unit is a little deaper then the firebox. You can have a custom bottem panel fabricated from a metal shop. Have you looked at the adjustable hearth support part # ADJSPT-3?

Thanks MSG. I think that support part is more suited to the other model inserts with the angled design, like my old 2100i and all the other current "i's". This 2700i is very flush to the opening and flat. The air combustion air openings are the two sets of louvers on the bottom of the side trim panels, correct?

I got that part out of the 2700 i manual. You know, im not shure where the combustion air comes from in the 2700 I to be real honest. I will have to check. That part is also listed in my price book for the 2700I

Velvetfoot, congrats on the insert. Looks good! Glad you are happy with it.

I think the best solution for now is to have a bottom trim piece custom made. Should not be that expensive. Just need to pay close attention to the depth of it and if done properly, where it meets the current trim would look "factory". Maybe make one up out of cardboard to the exact deminsions with the proper cut outs so it would be a pretty foreward job for a sheet metal shop. I would suggest trying to buy the manufacture's stove black/spray paint so it all matches.

The other option is to do something with the tile you are going to use around the insert and maybe install it under the insert insted of the custom metal trim. Not sure of the depth, and not sure of the temps that the bottom piece gets, but mine does not get that hot (the bottom metal of the ZC fireplace). Just throwing some ideas out there. Depending upon what your using, that may look good. Maybe some type of "mini hearth" underneath. This could be kind of tricky with combustables clearances and such, but I don't think it is totally undoable.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

BTW, velvetfoot, can you comment on the install regarding your concern about that raised portion on the floor of your ZC firebox (you mentioned this concern in another post). Did they remove it? Did you watch the install? Any adapters or trouble with getting the liner in? Did they insulate the liner? Did they modify the ZC firebox in any way? Thanks, Kd

How about considering building a raised hearth? Say take one row of tiles in front of the insert out and build up that area with bricks, high enough so that the surround will then set on the bricks. Should be easier (and cheaper) than custom made panels.

Thats kind of what I'm thinking, kind of jut a filler to trim it out. Use the tile that you will be using on the other areas and bond the tile to that (brick, or durock, or whatever). You do need to use a cement based adhesive, as I would be nervous using a ready to use mastic.

Raising the hearth is definately an idea. I wouldn't want to put too much weight on the floor joists though. Should that be a concern?

kd, they put a full length 6" liner in. No insulation. The only mods to the original zc fireplace were to remove the doors, screen, smoke diverter (??? it was a sheet metal piece that was installed with a few screws), and the damper. The bottom cast concrete (or whatever) piece with the hump (so the logs don't roll out I guess) stayed in place unmodified. The insert in resting on that piece.

I watched them like a hawk, but I couldn't be in two places at once. When I was watching the guy on the roof there was some stuff going on inside. There was no "special" adapter. The adapter had an angle on it because the back of the stove is angled. I think the sequence went like:

-check fit of insert by placing in opening
-remove
-drop liner down chimney
-fit up and attach liner to stove
-install stove in opening, while guy at top pulls up liner

I'm really not sure of the sequence, and probably shouldn't even have written it down! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.