Need advice on what to install after ripping out prefab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
It's been a couple years living with my prefab and I want more heat.

Newbie with Heat N Glo EM42 fireplace - Pictures

I've researched and I've decided not to try an insert into the prefab. I also don't want to turn this into an alcove with a freestanding. So that leaves me with putting a good wood burning fireplace into the prefab spot with some modifications.

I've heard there are some zero clearance good fireplaces. Can you recommend any? Or any other good options. I'm handy. Installed a pellet stove in our last house, remodeled houses, etc.

Thanks,
Bill

There are several good units out there. Which is best for this application depends on the budget and how large an area is being heated. Take a look a units by RSF, Northstar, IronStrike, Pacific Energy, and SBI (Flame, Valcourt) for starters.

Great. So I don't know much about the ZC units, but am I correct in assuming that, with some minor modifications, they could be installed in the stick framed chase that the current prefab is currently in? I understand that I would need to upgrade the flue pipe.

You'll need measure the chase cavity and then compare dimensions between the old and the new. Make sure there's adequate depth for the new fireplace and if the new unit needs to attach ducting to the side for outside air or heat ducting, makes sure there's room for that too.

So how can you tell if it is OK to fit in a wood frame chase? RSF shows alot of nice options, but none of them specifically state Zero Clearance like the Northstar does.

20150708_120652.jpg 20150909_171403.jpg

From A to B - Regency EX90

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I'd really like to avoid messing up our existing brick work. Our current opening is 42" wide x 34.5" high. Kind of limits me. Pacific Energy FP 16 or FP25 might work. Any other small, but good, ZC units?

Also, how is the noise on the fans for these ZC units? I'm guessing compared to a freestanding unit, you have to run the fan all the time?
This will be right next to our TV. Our current prefab has a fan and it gets kind of annoying.

Also, how is the noise on the fans for these ZC units? I'm guessing compared to a freestanding unit, you have to run the fan all the time?
This will be right next to our TV. Our current prefab has a fan and it gets kind of annoying.

The customer has their tv about 5' from the fireplace in that picture. They LOVE their fireplace and the fan is not an issue.

We really like our Stratford by Osburn, another SBI company. The fan is noticeable but not so loud on low that it's annoying, even on high I don't find it annoying. Our TV is to the right of our fireplace, so the fan noise in the left ear and TV in front. I dont if you can completely remove your current setup without some brick work. As in the picture on your old thread, ZC units have bolted/ welded standoffs to make install more foolproof to clearances.

I stopped into my local fireplace store and asked about a new ZC. The dealer told me they could probably fit an insert just by cutting some metal away. Makes me nervous based upon what I've read.
I am now leaning toward turning this into an alcove. Making it a big summer project. I feel an alcove and a freestanding setup will give me more flexibility and heat.

So with a freestanding in this spot, do I tear out all my old 8" prefab chimney pipe? Is there anything I can put thru the prefab pipe like I would of with an insert? Or do I have to replace it all with the Class A stuff?

Thanks.

I stopped into my local fireplace store and asked about a new ZC. The dealer told me they could probably fit an insert just by cutting some metal away. Makes me nervous based upon what I've read.
I am now leaning toward turning this into an alcove. Making it a big summer project. I feel an alcove and a freestanding setup will give me more flexibility and heat.

So with a freestanding in this spot, do I tear out all my old 8" prefab chimney pipe? Is there anything I can put thru the prefab pipe like I would of with an insert? Or do I have to replace it all with the Class A stuff?

Thanks.
It depends on what needs cutting. If it's to remove the damper that's ok, and they can remove the doors. But they can not cut into the body or structure of the ZC. What insert were they talking about?

Thanks.
The weight of the current class A is supported by the fireplace. If you pull the unit and turn it into an alcove for a free standing wood stove you will end up removing the current chimney or bracing it until you find out the brand and model and then see if they have some type of ceiling support system and adapter to allow connection to a stove. That or replace the entire chimney. Either setup would require framing above the alcove to support the chimney.

Installing an approved insert into the existing fireplace would likely only require what BG mentioned above including the install of a stainless liner inside the existing chimney to be connected to the stove.

We often replace ZC fireplaces with a
Kozy Z-42. Being 42” wide it sounds like it would fit your opening. But, it has to be slide in from the back side of the chase. Is that possible? What’s it sided with?