Need advice on wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
I am in the market for a wood burning insert.
I have been looking at the BlazeKing princess model.
It was recommended to me by a dealer.
I have also looked at the Quadrafire. Are these brands
worth the money? I've seen other inserts that offer the same
features for half the money. I am looking at $3500 - $40000
for the blaze King installed. We live in Wyoming and have access to
all the firewood we need. I dont mind spending the money if its worth it.
Any other suggestions on brands or models?

Thanks alot for any help.
Brad

We did all the research this past Spring and took the plunge to get an insert.

We visited all the Local Dealers, Pacific, Lopi, Quadrafire, and even a Buck Stove dealer. Buck Stove was probably the cheapest model sold by a dealer we visited.

We came to the conclusion that going with a Napoleon 1402 stove would be good for our 1st stove. We intend to be wood burners for many years to come and may upgrade in the future. I couldn't see paying around 3,000 or more for a stove, liner, and install, etc. on our 1st stove.

The Napoleon we bought offered good size and blower for quite a bit less than what local dealers were offering. We got ours from Zoobler.com. They were really good to work with. We are doing our own install which is pretty straightforward.

Seems like alot of stoves are backordered, so when you decide on one, you might want to inquire as to the availability.

Both stoves are good brands. The Blaze King Princess is a popular model in cold country. You might PM North of 60 about his stove. There are several other good brands of stoves out there. It just depends on the features and looks that are most important to you, the size of stove that fits your home's needs, your budget and what is available.

Blaze King is a cat, Quad a non cat. Not sure if it matters to you or not, just pointing out.

I am also looking to install a wood insert, first one!, my house is approx 2,500sqft, and I have a large fire place
I am down to the pacific summit vs Osborn 2400, anyone have any opinions, comments, suggestions?

Both are good, large Canadian stoves. You might get a better price on the Osburn. I don't think you would go wrong with either stove.

One dealer suggested the osborn as it is heavier, another dealer said the pacific summit is better made and thicker guage steel?
also I read that a double liner is necessary, is this so, the summit dealer said they use a single sheet liner. THe osborne guy said they cement the cap so no air gets down the chimney, is this good? guess I am trying to figure out which dealer is going to be the best (and honest!) to deal with...

BeGreen said:
Both stoves are good brands. The Blaze King Princess is a popular model in cold country. You might PM North of 60 about his stove. There are several other good brands of stoves out there. It just depends on the features and looks that are most important to you, the size of stove that fits your home's needs, your budget and what is available.

The princess incert and the stove are differnt animals. They have alot in common but are also very differnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.