Need advice - surprises behind refractory package VC WWl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
I just finished disassembling my VC WWL, c.2004. Started as a cat replacement, then the refractory started crumbling, so I've got the whole inside apart.

When removing the old refractory package, I discovered what appears to be a temp prove - but as far as I knew I don't have a temp probe. Question 1 - is this some unused feature, or is this something internal that controls an air flap or something? My concern is with trying to work the new refractory in over it without tearing anything up.

Also, below that, I discovered an intentional trapezoidal opening in the casting, maybe 4 inches wide by about 3/8 in tall. seems to go through the cast and expose the outer galvanized skin of the unit. Normally that would be blocked by the base of the refractory, but it seems weird to leave this opening when it would have been as easy (or easier) to just make it continuous. Question 2 - any idea what this gap in the casting is about?

Thanks
Steve

Sharing some pics of what you are looking at might be helpful.

Good luck.

fair enough. Sorry for the lag. And unfortunately the photo is upside down - can't seem to figure out how to rotate it.

the probe is above the gap in the casting, below where the cat would be in the refractory.

Attachments

• IMG_0231[1].JPG
    IMG_0231[1].JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 92
The probe is your secondary air probe. If you take off the cover from the back you can see the coiled spring that opens it. You have to pull the stove to replace it from the back. The probe is around $40

Status
Not open for further replies.