Need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time of the year again... I need to buy a cord of wood. My options are tamarack, fir and pine...which is best to burn on evenings and weekends, since I'm not home to burn all day and maintain?
I live in a cabin on the river, so it gets cold quickly.

Welcome back. Tamarack will burn the longest and hottest followed by fir. If you can get some apple from the orchards, that will burn well too as long as it has been fully seasoned.

It's that time of the year again... I need to buy a cord of wood. My options are tamarack, fir and pine...which is best to burn on evenings and weekends, since I'm not home to burn all day and maintain?
I live in a cabin on the river, so it gets cold quickly.
Sounds like you live near me with that selection. It will be nice when the bugs get worked out on the new site format and we can see where folks are located. In the south east kootenays where I live you would pay dearly for a cord of larch so fir would be a second choice but only if the larch is stupid expensive. I use larch for all my over night burns and can load my non cat super 27 at 11 pm and still have coals for a reload at 9 am the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.