Need advise. Garage heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
But I'm telling you, I saw one at a fair that was running and had no idea until he opened the door, and it wasn't even on a heat cycle. Totally blown away.
Truth.
I think my folks old Central Boiler polluted more after the fire was dead/out than the new HeatMaster does idling...and I'm only half kidding.
They are expensive, and it's the wrong time to be buying anything really!
Yes and no...prices are just gonna keep going up...might as well buy before the next increase, and while you can still get the 26% tax credit.

Truth.
I think my folks old Central Boiler polluted more after the fire was dead/out than the new HeatMaster does idling...and I'm only half kidding.
This was a HeatMaster G series. When I was talking to the guy, I asked about how much it smoked at idle. He pointed to the chimney and said "about as much as it does right now". I thought he was being sarcastic as I had no idea he had it loaded. We walked the 30' over to it, he flipped a lever and opened the door to reveal a fire. I turned to my wife and said, "no friggin way!"
Yes and no...prices are just gonna keep going up...might as well buy before the next increase, and while you can still get the 26% tax credit.
My thoughts exactly

I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead. Well, the garage is built and cold is settling in. I did in fact install the in-floor radiant heat and manifold (installed myself) as well as completely insulating the floor and knee walls. With that said, and fuel/gas on the rise, I'm seriously considering a new Crown Royal, Heatmaster wood boiler with tax credit. Piping will be expensive as I would not go with the cheap wrapped stuff that fills with water, rather foam filled.

I spent the time and money for in-floor, by golly I'm gonna use it one way or the other! I get told time and time again it's the best heat money can buy in a garage.
You will need to run heat all winter or use antifreeze in the radiant. Antifreeze is a pain in the but on mechanicals. My HVAC company will only run heat pumps at above 50 degrees as too many complaints of either electric bill being too high or electric doesn’t do the job and need the highbred with propane to take over.

Everybody has to pass the new emissions regs...and only one has on the forced air wood furnaces (Kuuma)
What about Drolet Heat Commander and Caddy Advanced? While checking the EPA database I found there is a bug in the system to show all 3 forced air furnaces the firebox size has to be set from 0 to 10 cuft max if else Kuuma and HY-C will not show up.

Last edited:
Moving thread to the Boiler (and Furnace) room for better exposure to owners of them.

I’ll see if I can let go of my hat here in wind blown Kansas long enough to type this out. I’m happy with my Switzer wood fired batch boiler with integrated storage. I have radiant floor heat in my house and garage (approximately 2,080 sq ft. of floor space). Due to needing forced air for A/C anyway, I also put a hot water coil in that unit. That way I can quickly heat my space if necessary. I also have my upstairs and main floor on separate zones with the forced air unit so that I can run it for the upstairs while the main floor is heated with the floor heat. I do not use antifreeze, and since this is a pressurized system, I haven’t treated the water, either. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing…
I’ve looked some at those other EPA certified units, and they look nice. If you go with the boiler route, I think you’d be happier with storage of some sort.

Good luck and let us know how it works. My 1800 feet of pex in the insulated slab is setting unused for the last 10 years. Boilers are super expensive!
Make one out of cob...;)