need advise on which stihl chainsaw to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, we are all adults.....

Reactions: PapaDave
If you're only cutting a small amount of wood, I'd say the MS250 is a decent choice, I'm pretty happy with mine, though there is a school of thought out there that it's more of a limbing saw. The other candidate I had in mind was a 290 with a 20" bar. I had thought it might be overkill, and tried to stay in budget, but again, if bigger logs are your thing, that might be the way to go. IN the end $70 bucks more amortizes out to very little over time.

I cut mostly up to about 10-14" log sections, and the largest diameter I've cut is about 17"
(the nominal length of the bar it came with is 18", which actually protrudes 16")

Just make sure you go though the starting routine and check it's all running and oiling fine with the dealer to make sure everything is copasetic. (and no old gas if its been on display on the shelf a while.)

I have the CBE version, but I'd guess I'd be as happy with the lighter regular one.

I take the cover off to clean it regularly, and also I like to take the chain off and clean the bar, and make sure no dust/wood/treegrunge blocks the oil port, etc.

I definitely would not go any smaller or less powerful if you like cutting a bunch of hardwood trunk sections. This one is still wearing in and I'm trying to keep it busy.

VerticalMS250CBEendofpile.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.