NEED AN ELECTRICIANS HELP IN WIRING RELAY....PLEASE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBoiler

Feb 23, 2010
Canada
I am wiring in an Honeywell RA89A Relay to shutdown my oil burner whenever my wood boiler's circulator is running--- as seen in the first attached diagram. The relay is bsically controlled by the same singe aquastat on the wood boiler, that runs the wood boiler circulator. The relay would then by tied into the B1 connection on the triple aquastat on the oil boiler.

My question has to do with the exact connections on the relay. The wood boiler diagram, and the RA89A relay diagram do not have the same connections and I can't figure out how it connects. Can you tell?

Attachments

• relaywiring.jpg
    relaywiring.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,928
  • ra89a.jpg
    ra89a.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,111
NewBoiler said:
I am wiring in an Honeywell RA89A Relay to shutdown my oil burner whenever my wood boiler's circulator is running--- as seen in the first attached diagram. The relay is bsically controlled by the same singe aquastat on the wood boiler, that runs the wood boiler circulator. The relay would then by tied into the B1 connection on the triple aquastat on the oil boiler.

My question has to do with the exact connections on the relay. The wood boiler diagram, and the RA89A relay diagram do not have the same connections and I can't figure out how it connects. Can you tell?

Relay circled on left of first diagram requires a 120VAC current-sourcing activation-input to energize its relay coil. RA89A relay requires a 24VAC current-sinking switch closure activation-input to energize its relay coil. Don't hook 120VAC to the RA89A T-T inputs unless you want to let the smoke out of it.

Plus you need an NC relay throw, so you need an R482J or equivalent line voltage relay.

Cheers ---ewd

That makes so much more sense to me. Lesson here, the distributers don't always know best. So in the below diagram, how will it be wired?

Thanks so much

Attachments

• r482.jpg
    r482.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 709
NewBoiler said:
That makes so much more sense to me. Lesson here, the distributers don't always know best. So in the below diagram, how will it be wired?

Please accept that I mean no disrespect, but the wires need to be connected by someone who already knows at a glance how the R482J fits into your diagram. With a small amount of study of HVAC control and simple schematic basics you could become that person. Else seek out someone local you can trust.

--ewd

Burning Chunk,

This is a simple wiring problem that I have done on my setup. Here is how it is done. Get a relay with at least one set of normally closed contacts with a 120 volt coil. I used a plug in cube relay with the base and some kind of suitable enclosure to mount it in. Parallel the coil of the relay with the wood boiler’s circulator. You have two ways to wire the oil boiler to the normally closed contacts, your call. You can put the normally closed contacts in series with the L1 wire that feeds the oil boiler or in series with the B1 wire in the oil boiler controller. When the wood boiler circulator comes on the 120V relay coil is energized and the relay NC contact opens which in turn doesn't allow the oil boiler to run. If you chose to control the burner (B1), the oil boiler circulator can still run when the thermostat calls for heat. If you chose to use the boiler controller (L1) feed then nothing on the oil boiler will work. The way you have your boilers piped would determine which way to go.

Clearview said:
... I used a plug in cube relay with the base and some kind of suitable enclosure to mount it in. ...

Your cube relay may not be rated for 45 amperes of locked-rotor inrush, which may be something to consider, depending on your burner's requirements.

--ewd

Your oil burner has two contacts labeled t and t they are jumpered together. Break these with your relay or just with an aquastat as I said before. Then you don't have to worry about 120v

sgrenier35 said:
Your oil burner has two contacts labeled t and t they are jumpered together. Break these with your relay or just with an aquastat as I said before. Then you don't have to worry about 120v

The oil boiler aquastat C1 output is still the system load circ in the diagram. No T-T, no heat.

Tt on the burner primary control not the high limit circulator relay. This still allows all normal system operation but the burner won't fire

Status
Not open for further replies.