Need an Inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtp10181

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Marshall, WI
Arrow 1800A

Take a look at the pics to visualize. Looks like single wall pipe to me. The manual says for s/w you need 18" to combustibles. Behind the stove is brick, then a small air gap, then drywall. Its 8" to the brick, 4" brick. So overall about 12" to the wall. Does the brick insulate enough to make this legit? Is there a way to figure this out besides just knowing off the top of your head (some formula in a code book)?

Attachments

• Stove 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    Stove 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 295
  • Stove 002 (450 x 600).jpg
    Stove 002 (450 x 600).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 298
The experts will be here soon but as far as I know 18" is 18" no matter whats in the way. could be 17" of the best insulator around and I bet elk would fail it :)

It exactly falls into the double wall clearance (which is 8"). I also have no idea whats behind that wall or how its connected to the thimble.

You check NFPA 211...I'm not gonna...

"Ohhh Elk...."lol :)

jtp10181 said:
It exactly falls into the double wall clearance (which is 8"). I also have no idea whats behind that wall or how its connected to the thimble.

I would have it pulled out and install double walled pipe and make sure what is going through the wall is safe. Take it from someone who is lucky her house didn't burn to the ground. You should have seen what was pulled from my attic. ~~~Shudder~~~

AAMOF, here is the pipe that was between my ceiling and the roof. I found out when I had my new stove and chimney installed that it was already in the house when my DH bought it in the early 80s. He and his brother just hooked up another wood stove to existing pipe. Perhaps it was good that I was ignorant until I started shopping for new stoves and found Hearth dot com.

Attachments

• 100_0165.JPG
    100_0165.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 270
It sounds correct to me. As I remember, brick against a wall (even tightly) allows for a 33% reduction TO THE ORIGINAL WALL - so a 1/3 reduction from 18" makes it 12, which you state is the actual measurement.

So, yes, the NFPA table for generic clearance reduction is the best tool for these situations.

https://www.hearth.com/content/images/uploads/nfpachart1.jpg

Note: this table is for stoves with a 36", so it mentions 24" as the closest you can get. Let me take a look at the actual pipe clearance chart and see if says the same %%%.

OK, looks good, please see attached.

Attachments

• pipenfpa.jpg
    pipenfpa.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 235
The wall in question applies to letter (d) because it is full brick with an exposed air space behind it. I can see light coming through from the other side of the wall when I look behind it. So that would be a 66% reduction in clearances. So it lookes like even without the air space there it would have just made the clearance requirement.

Yeah, but in general a brick wall is not considered ventilated unless it is a 1" space and open on top, along with some vents along the bottom, etc.

This is where a little common sense comes in - obviously brick touching a wall would be much warmer than even a little space as you mention - so if the pipe was an inch closer it would prob still be OK. On the other hand, if it was 66% (that would mean 2" from the brick) - well, I would say too close in this case due to the fact that the air space is not 100% right.

One may take a reduced clearance up to 12" no matter if 66% 33%
% or what ever the most allowed for reduction is down to 12"
now if a manufacturer list distances that have been tested and approved then one can use those distances

No NFPA reduced clearance may reduce clearance to less than 12"

Plain brick one may reduce distances 33% ventilated brick with one inch air space 66%
If you have 12 " to the combustiable wall in the back of the bricks that's ok in that picture what is the stove clearance distance? There are two elements to clearances
the stove and the vent pipe..

BTW it looks like single wall pipe where a 6to 8 adapter is used at the stove outlet and 8" used the rest of the way 8" looks to be single wall pipe.

Sorry for not responding earlier Golfing has finally started

Those tables can be confusing!

Notice that just a single sheet of sheet metal - spaced - is equal to all the other 66% reductions, some of which include two sheets of sheet metal and insulation..... It's pretty easy to conclude that it is the airspace, and NOT the material which is doing the job.

In my entire life, I have never seen a job that uses "two sheets of metal with insulation batts, etc.etc". Most jobs are either brick, cement board with tile or the occasional sheet metal.

Wow, nice weather.......spring has sprung.

Status
Not open for further replies.