Need an opinion on Curran (ultra premium) 100% softwood pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickyrick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2009
Western MA/ Eastern NY
Guys,

I'm doing my shopping around and the pellets I normally use (Summersets, GT, Oakies when I can get them, and even hardwood heat) are just not available in my area.

I need to get 3 tons in the garage and obviously can't start up the pellet stove to test out new options.

I have available Dry creek, Allegainy, Curran 60/40, Curran Ultra premium (100% soft). My normal suppliers (Lowes, Central farm and tractor and Ace)have all switched to Green Supremes bagged in NY by NEWP and HD has Stove Chow.

The question really is has anyone tried Curran 100% softwood and what did you find in burning them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gonna get 3 tones of something soon and a ton of Green Teams if they ever make it up here.

I burned a ton of these last year and liked them pretty well. At 0.54% ash, their stats are higher than some other "super premium" grades, like Vts and that seemed right to me as I burned them. Rated by the maker at 8300 btus per pound is lower than some good softwoods. That also seemed about right, maybe a little high. They gave me good heat but I wasn't super impressed. Definitely cooler than the Vts but cheaper also. They burned cleanly in my stove, so ok for the money.

Prices?

I got decent heat and low ash from the batch I tried on the Curran Softwoods. But I also like the Allegheny pellets too. So pricing would help! Also hard to pass on the Stove Chow I have burned them for a couple of seasons and they do well for the money spent!

Allegheny is $239
Stove chow is $219
Curran is 209
Curran softwood is 259
And green supreme is 219

Status
Not open for further replies.