Need another ton...and some input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

movemaine

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2011
Central Maine
movemaine.com
ok:

my usual: 1 ton Lacrete's - $325 delivered

or:

1 ton Energex softwood's - $309 delivered

or

1.2 tons of Spruce Pointes - $350 delivered

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you are paying a LOT for pellets....even delivered. But maybe that's the "norm" up your way for softwoods.

IMO, the Sprucies are the best deal....great pellet. Wish I could get them here.

yeah - softwoods are expensive here in Maine - all the pellets made in state are middle of the road - which stinks, because we are a "logging" state.

yeah, the guy delivers for $30 - so the 1.2 tons of Spruce Pointes is $324

Reactions: CT Pellet
Yeah, I've found a better pellet makes a real difference in my stove in terms of heat output.

Have you tried Maine Woods Softwoods? Much cheaper, definitely not as hot as LaCretes, but much cheaper. work well for me.

Have you tried Maine Woods Softwoods? Much cheaper, definitely not as hot as LaCretes, but much cheaper. work well for me.
yeah, I just finished a ton of the MWP Softies. They are ok, but I don't love them.

I just paid $188/ton. Add $30 for delivery and I would have been @ $218. These are Lignetics Western Conifer pellets and I like them. Definitely no Bear Mountain but the price is right!

DSC_1031.JPG

I just paid $188/ton. Add $30 for delivery and I would have been @ $218. These are Lignetics Western Conifer pellets and I like them. Definitely no Bear Mountain but the price is right!

DSC_1031.JPG

where at? I'm in Augusta, Maine - there aren't a lot of choices around here for "good" pellets.

he cant be east coast talking about Bear Mountain?

You're probably right. It doesn't make any sense. 50% of Maine is covered in logging companies, and there isn't one high quality pellet produced here.

Reactions: pourlepayssauvage
Mail me some in an envelope :p i read about them would love to try them. even emailed the company like most. they dont reply
UPS or Fedex? LOL. They are spendy! $279/ton. I have a few bags I like to save just in case. Lignetics (Orange Bag) treat me well for the price.

Orange label Liggies, Ain't seen them in years around here.

movemaine, I vote for the Sprucies. About the same "ton" cost as the Energex, But a better pellet IMHO.

movemaine may i ask who are you getting them from ??

I'll share my sources if you share yours ;)

Rocky's Stove Shoppe - Augusta, Maine - LaCrete's, Cubex, Northeast, Crabbe
Paris Farmers Union - Winthrop, Maine - Energex, MWP, Corinth, Canawick
Springbrook Fuel - Waterville, Maine - Spruce Pointes
Green Energy - New Gloucester, Maine - Okies, Okie Black Hills, Geneva, PWI

and of course SIBs (they didn't come through for me this year - I was on a 3+ month waiting list and kept being rescheduled until I was told they were out of the pellets I wanted).

So this year, I've been piecemealing from various sources - usually picking up 20 at a time in my SUV ( i need a trailer )

Im glad I catch Somersets on sell. Its always funny when I tell the kid at Menards how many I want....."you want how many TONSSSSsssss?"

Spruce Pointe have been my go to pellet for 3 years and they are a great choice. This is the first season using MWP soft and those have been doing very well. Have not broken into any of the left over Spruce.
Cant go wrong with them and yes 270 is about the norm for them this year.

MM Im sure you know but the fellow in Lisbon Falls, Maine Pellets I believe, does Cubex spruce point and Okies as well as others ! Youve already named the places i go I like Rockys nice people and the fellow in lisbon does a nice job as well Igot my MWPs from SIB nice fellow but he also left two of my friends hanging :(

Rocky's isn't selling Okies this year?

Anyone know anything about the Canawick? I thought I read this fall they were a decent pellet. Also heard some good things about the Crabbe.

yeah, I just finished a ton of the MWP Softies. They are ok, but I don't love them.

They kept my house at 75 during this cold snap, so I have no complaints.

Sub at the very begining of the season i tried 4 bags of the Crabbes and must say they were ok ! I liked them better than the MWPs

How do like the Presto-Logs and where did you get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.