Need ash vac, any suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rphurley

Feeling the Heat
Nov 5, 2008
Central/Eastern CT
I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum but I'm looking for an ash vac that is compact and can handle cool ash without spewing it all over my living room. I looked at small shop-vacs but they don't have the filtration capabilities needed to handle ash. I'm hoping not to pay $200.00 bucks so if anyone knows where I can find a more affordable solution I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Rich

I bought the cheeta Ash vac online this year, Seems to work good. No ash in the room and filtered well. Hose is metal as is the tank. Still need to be careful that you do not suck up hot coals too often in that they will ruin the $30 filters easily. Several places online sell them, slightly over $200.

I'm looking for the same thing CT. Something with a handle of sorts, so I can walk around the hearth and carpet in front of the hearth for quick clean ups. Would like to use it on the linoleum floors in the bath and kitchen too for the damn dust balls, small feathers and bird dander (I have a couple of Parrots). I was surfing the web a little bit last nite and found a few relatively small corded canister vacs with heppa filters. Seemingly decent ones cost +,-$150.00.

Like CT said if anyone has any suggestions that would be great!!

Thanks Woodburner. I had looked at the little craftsman but that doesn't have a hepa filter. They did not have the others in stock at the Sears I was at (Windham). It's good to know there is something compact that can handle cool ash without spending 200 bucks for it. BBC, that should fit your needs too!

I just use my little shop-vac using a drywall filter bag. works fine for me.

Thanks Woodburner. I had looked at the little craftsman but that doesn’t have a hepa filter. They did not have the others in stock at the Sears I was at (Windham). It’s good to know there is something compact that can handle cool ash without spending 200 bucks for it. BBC, that should fit your needs too!

I use the small craftsman one for ashes. You are correct it doesnt have a hepa filter but it also doesnt blow ashes out with the regular bag filter. It must be fine enough to filter out the ash. I would not spend 200 for an ash vac. This little guy works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.