need assistance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmfox

Feb 22, 2013
Hello, first time posting here. I recently purchased a Shelter Furncace, indoor wood forced air unit. The unit is rated for 100,000 btus, 2000 sq ft. Has a 1800 cfm fan. I installed in my garage because I have no basement, have a deep crawl. It requires 12" duct for supplly and return air. I hooked up with flexible, insulated duct, about 50' total length to where it ties into main trunk of propane furnace. Is that too long of a run? The heat output at the registers is minimal. I also get a strong wood burning smell through the register. Not happy about that, thats why I chose a add on furnace instead of a woodstove I am also thinking of doing away with the forced air and purchasing stainless water coil and a heat exchanger to put in the heat plenum. Can I get enough heat transfer with a double heat coil and a heat exchanger? I probably would need to add a storage tank of some sort, circulator pump and such. I heard its easier to move heat through water and instead of air.

The house is 1600 square foot, average insualtion.
Thanks for the help, just trying to get this thing going and save some money on the propane bill.
I did burn a few hot fires in it prior to hooking to duct.

50' is really LONG run for flex duct. There is an incredible amount of pressure drop relative to what you would find if you use hard/smooth ductwork. It could be that the fan on the boiler cant handle that level of pressure drop, which is why you arent getting much heat there.

The wood burning smell is a separate issue. I would call the shelter folks and see if they have any ideas.

Hello, thanks for the help. I got the stoves return air seeled off to get rid of the wood smell in the house and I switched over to rigid galvenized pipe and insulated it and the ducts in the crawl. My house gets heated to more of a comfortable temp but the stove eats the wood to maintain the temp. Im thinking of moving the stove indoors by my propane furnace. My propane furnace is downdraft and will be ducting the wood furnace down into ductwork. In thinking ill get the radiant heat off the stove and hopefully use a lil less wood. Does this sound good? I like it in the garage for mess wise, but wanting more heat in yhe house.

Status
Not open for further replies.