need chain advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynch

Dec 13, 2010
northern maine
for a newer sthil 250 cb e 16 incher
still have the safety chain on the saw but want something more aggressive
dont do alot of cutting with it, maybe 2-3 cords a year.

i know i know...small saw but couldn't afford the bigger saw i wanted at the time.

250 is a nice saw....Post what it says on the bar cloestes to the saw. It will be stamp what you need and go from there? I have seen 180 do a nice job in black locust............

ill have to check in the morning
to cold out to go get it now. lol

-8 temp right now

Lynch said:
ill have to check in the morning
to cold out to go get it now. lol

-8 temp right now

You leave your chainsaw out at night. Shame on you mine sleep at the end of the bed...........lol

Stihl's RSC is what I use, exclusively. I've tried other brands, but Stihl's stuff stays sharpest longest and is most forgiving. Some people have mentioned RMC for dirty wood, but I've not used it. Oh, and at $16 for a 16" loop of Stihl (around here, at least), it's not worth bothering with anything else.

S

If your saw came with .325" pitch RMC3 chain (as indicated in that Stihl link), then it is semi-chisel safety chain.

S = chisel
M = semi-chisel
3 = safety

If you want a more aggressive chain, switch from a semi-chisel tooth shape to a chisel tooth shape.

RSC = chisel chain
RSC3 = chisel safety chain

Match pitch, gauge, and number of drive links and you should be fine. If not sure, take your saw into any dealer and they'll get you the right chain.

10-4

ill check with them, i was just thinking i might order one online, dealer is 30 mins away. but i go that way every now and then

thinkxingu said:
Stihl RSC is what I use, exclusively. I've tried other brands, but Stihl stuff stays sharpest longest and is most forgiving. Some people have mentioned RMC for dirty wood, but I've not used it. Oh, and at $16 for a 16" loop of Stihl (around here, at least), it's not worth bothering with anything else.

S

wrong thread lol

Jay, am I missing something? "need chain advice...for a newer sthil 250 cb e 16 incher...still have the safety chain on the saw but want something more aggressive."

S

thinkxingu said:
Jay, am I missing something? "need chain advice...for a newer sthil 250 cb e 16 incher...still have the safety chain on the saw but want something more aggressive."

S

No when I first wrote this I thought it was the thread about the 27 inch echo chain. So I just change it because its a 250 rs would be the chain. My screw-up! I NEED A VACATION......lol

Lynch said:
10-4

ill check with them, i was just thinking i might order one online, dealer is 30 mins away. but i go that way every now and then

Personally, I like Stihl chain so I buy from my local dealer. For your saw I'd get RSC

I've also bought some Oregon chain from BaileysOnline.com and have been very pleased with it:
Oregon 20LPX chain (.325, .050, 66DL)
I use it on the 16" bar on my 50cc Husqvarna 346XP.

As I stated in an earlier post, you can buy online with confidence if you know three things: pitch, gauge, and number of drive links (DL)

Pitch: If you can't confirm this by the stamp on the bar, you should be able to see a stamp on the saw's drive sprocket. There are also ways of getting this info from the chain.
Gauge: On bar stamp, or get this from your current chain markings.
DL: On bar stamp, or just count the number of drive links on your current chain.

That's all there is to it.

thanks alot guys
i think im all set now

just wish the snow would melt so i could do alittle cutting!!!

Lynch said:
thanks alot guys
i think im all set now

just wish the snow would melt so i could do alittle cutting!!!

Walk through it! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.