Need Clydesdale Owner HELP! Handle Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwohioclydesdale

Feb 9, 2014
Bowling Green, OH
This forum has helped me learn a lot about my stove over the years.
I've learned how to really get the heat out of it but now I need YOUR help.
I'm having crazy handle issue. I'm beginning to wonder if this stove (purchased in 2009) updated edition is a dud? We had problems originally with the door alignment and we never did really figure that out.
About 2 wks ago I noticed the handle was really getting hard to open. I was going to spray it with graphite, and as I went to open the door-the damn crank broke off in my hand. I was not rough on it. The initial dealer who did the install gave the impression that they really don' like servicing or know much about wood stoves...so I pretty much don't want to deal with them. I found another dealer who helped me out. Through some searching I found they have an updated handle kit.

My original setup went
1latch-
2. washer--through the hole-
3. big washer
4. spring-
5.cast iron handle

The updated kit instructions tell you to toss the original stuff.
They send you 3 "tiny washers" that barely do anything. I guess you are to substitute these for the thicker washer.
I've followed the instructions to a "T".
the issue I'm having is the handle has a lot of slop in it. If I tighten it down (counterclockwise) -I move past the "slot for the set screw" and into threads. You are supposed to leave room for the set screw to go into the slot.
There is a lot of slop (that I don't remember) maybe 1/16" like latch is jumping around in the door hole.
Once it latches..things seem ok...
It just feels cheap. I'm trying to see how close the latch should be to the door (on both sides)
My cry for help is for other Clydesdale owners to possibly make some pictures and/or chime in on if their handle has the new kit- or this "slop"?
I'm picturing a sleeve that should go around the latch screw to get rid of that slop? Is there some chance that I have a product defect and it's not in my head? Yes, I realize the door is made in Spain. At this point, I'm pretty frustrated that if I had the gas money, I'd load it up and dump it on Hearthstones front door.

Status
Not open for further replies.