Need consultant to help us convert propane fireplace to wood insert or stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QTpi

Jun 4, 2015
MD
Hi pyro experts.
We have a circa 1976 masonry fireplace that has an indeterminate aged propane log set. We'd like to convert it to a current EPA standard wood burning insert or wood stove. We're in the Frederick, MD area. Our firebox is slightly odd - approaching a Rumsford, but not quite.
Any consultants in the MidAtlantic out there who can help us find the best option? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

People here can certainly help you when you give us some info. E. g. dimensions of the fireplace and a picture, length and inside dimensions of the chimney, house layout (rough floorplan would be ideal), insulation level, anticipated usage (primary or supplemental heat), budget, preferred design style etc.

Alternatively you can also look for a certified sweep in your area to assist you. Type in your zip code on those sites: http://www.csia.org/search and http://nficertified.org/pages_consumers/consumers-1.cfm

Thank you, Grisu. I didn't realize that a chimney sweep advises on determining the best stove/insert solution… was hoping to get advice from a disinterested yet knowledgeable professional, not someone who would be selling me a product. I will see about obtaining the suggested firebox and chimney dimensions for more input from fellow hearth members. Meanwhile, if there is someone in the DC/VA/MD area who is interested in a consult… LMK

was hoping to get advice from a disinterested yet knowledgeable professional, not someone who would be selling me a product.
The only professionals who will know anything about what you want to do are sweeps or stove dealers. Generally sweeps will be more impartial but not always. Many sweeps don't sell stoves at all so they would not be trying to sell you a stove just advise you. I know we do sell regency products but will gladly give you advice and install any brand you choose. Most sweeps however will only install liners they supply we have recently changed to that policy as well after being asked to install to many cheap liners with bad components.

I doubt you will get totally unbiased advice even in the forum. Everyone likes their stove best. ;) At least here you will get the opinion of many owners so you have a lot of options to consider.

Now one advice that is pretty much universally true. Please make sure to have plenty of dry wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20% at hand. Any EPA-approved stove/insert will need that to burn properly, safely, and cleanly. Usually that requires stacking the split wood in a sunny and windy location for up to three years depending on the species. If you not have done so get some cords up in your yard. Raise them from the ground (on pallets, lumber etc.), make single rows, stack them loosely, and top cover. If you get fast drying species like ash and pine they may still get to a burnable moisture content till the fall. Don't put too much trust in the "seasoned" description that many firewood sellers use. Ask them how long ago the wood has been split and stacked because only after that it will really start drying. I suspect you will be hard pressed to find one that says more than a few months at best.

An insert or a freestanding woodstove on the hearth may both be options. The later will usually provide more heat to the room but it depends on the fireplace lintel height being sufficiently high to clear the rear venting flue pipe that ties to the chimney liner. The hearth may also need extension.

In addition to getting the fireplace dimensions, tell us about the floorplan of the house and the size of the room the fireplace is in. What is the goal? Do you wish to heat with the insert/stove 24/7 during the winter? Or will it be more for taking the chill off in the general area while still relying on the primary heating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.