Need description of how air and combustion gasses move through a Waterford Erin stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triacon

Oct 8, 2012
I am trying to repair my stove but can't figure out how the fresh air moves through the stove and finally exits the stovepipe.

Waterford Erin(e)
This is a non catalitic stove , built in or around 1988. There is a shutter that swings away from the secondary combustion box front face when the door is opened. I am not sure if this shutter should totally seal when the door is closed again...

there are not many parts in the stove. The secondary combustion box is warped. Above yet behind it is a sandwiched set of plates that air or gasses pass through. perpendicular to the underside of the lower plate is a blade that seems to be designed to fit into a groove of the secondary combustion box, along its back edge. With all the parts placed back in the stove, I noticed that an air gap needed to be filled with something in order to make to air flow normal again. I used the black stove cement in a caulk tube to patch that area. I also used it along the front face of the secondary combustion box, put masking tape on the mating face of the shutter and closed the door. I did this thinking that the warp was allowing improper air flow there as well, but a test burn of some newspaper gradually went out because of the massive amount of trapped combustion gasses and smoke.... so I am thinking that the second patch I mentioned was too much.

I think that some air is supposed to flow through, between the shutter and the secondary combustion box......... so i may have to remove the cement, or grind an 1/8" or so off the plunger rod that sends the shutter into the mating position when the door is closed and locked.

the back wall of the stove is made up of 3 plates. a flat back of the stove with 2 air inlets, low, an outer back plate and an inner back plate.

I would like to see a section view of the stove with arrows showing air flow.

would rather not buy another stove if I can fix this one......

Status
Not open for further replies.