Need expert advice on a quad cb 1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg64ct

Nov 21, 2006
Connecticut
Hi,

I wrote last week was having a problem with my combustion blower. I finally replaced it and its working great nice and quiet. Last month I replaced the convection blower thinking it would solve the problem. The problem is that when the covection blower just before it kicks on it would make some clicking noises and I could always tell when it was going to kick on because my tv picture gets distorted. I don't always hear the clicking noise so much but the thing with the tv all the time. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I also replaced the board.

Thanks for the help.

What you are seeing on you TV, if I understand you right, is called RFI (radio frequency interference). It is commonly caused by spark arc (contacts sparking when closing or opening). The first radio transmitters we spark arc transmitters. an electrical spark generates frequencies over a large part of the RF spectrum. If you are seeing horizontal bands of little white dots, that is what it is. It can sometimes totally wipe out a picture on your TV if bad enough. You should also be able to hear it on a portable AM radio. If it is a new symptom, you may be looking at replacing whatever controls the power to the motor in question. If the contact is bad, it could drop the voltage going to the fan and possibly damage the motor.

I work for a power company (Communications Systems Tech) and have done hundreds of RFI investigations. Don't do them anymore, we leave it to the Apprentice Communication Techs generally(Thank you Lord!).

#1 snap disc controls the convection blower, purple wires. I would also check for loose connections, maybe arcing.

Hi slls,

You were right on the money. I checked the #1 snap disc and the purple wires were almost ready to fall off. I pushed them back on and the stove is running like new.
Thanks for taking the time to help.

Regards,
Steve

Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.