Need feedback about wood boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnterry

Oct 14, 2008
Eastern PA
We're going to buy a wood gasification boiler soon, but we're not sure which one to get. We're looking into BioMax, Attack DP Profi, Orlan EKO, Econoburn. Since these boilers are expensive (and we've always heated our home with oil), we'd like some feedback about the quality and durability of the models mentioned before we actually purchase one. Anyone out there own one of these and have some input?

I have the EKO. I think there all about the same. Just ask when I can have it delivered? I got mine from Cozy Heat, two weeks from when I sent the check. Good luck

I have a eko 60 , I like the boiler but Its a little hard to get used to it .I put it in late last season without storage and I have to say it doesnt like to idle. This year I added storage , the boiler seems to act much better when its mild out. Im from Pa. to and we get a lot of days when its not very cold but you still need heat.I would suggest to get storage. Hope this helped.

Bnt: Do a search and a lot of reading here. These guys know their stink. I am about 99% convinced that you will be better off w/ (a) one of about 5 good brands, and (b) extra heat storage, preferably in the form of water, regardless of machine brand or claim about retaining heat in ceramics. (That does not apparently translate into the real world too well.) That said, I am, again, leaning toward a Garn. Sure, they are spendy, but apparently well built and the heat storage is right there. Adding a water (heat storage) is either spendy or time consuming, or both. Good luck sorting it all out. My head spins every time I think I have it schnockered.

Great experience with the Tarm. From +60F to -40F, it always purrs. Note 1000 gal LP tank pressurized storage. Cost of adding storage to the system totaled about $1200, including the plate hx.

This is my first year with my Econoburn 150. I have an old 500 gallon propane tank for heat storage/buffer. A friend sold me the tank for $45 !! A few bucks for the fittings and valves and viola! instant buffer to keep the E-burn burning hard. I've installed the whole thing myself and have a ways to go to improve the efficiency, but the support from Econoburn has been excellent especially since I bought my unit used from a private individual. Here are the things that I had issues with.....1) make sure your pex tubing is large enough to handle the heat load for the distance you have to travel, 2) go for heat storage (either separately or on the unit itself) as soon as you can, 3) buy as much of the pieces/parts you need locally (you might need their support some day). Hope this helps.

I don't think you have any bad choices on your list. I have no knowledge of the Attack, but Hansson's endorsement is good enough for me. My only question about it would be availability of parts / service / support - I think it must be new to the US.

Of course, you don't identify where you live, so US support may be completely irrelevant........

Hansson said:
If you are going to have a storage.Go Attack.

It`s a better designed boiler than the eko.
Sucking fan.No regulator.

The Biomass 40 has a suction fan in the rear, It actually sucks the flames to the lower burning compartment, through he heat exchangers to the fan and power vents the exhaust up the chimney. How does the EKO work does the fans actually blow on the logs? I cannot open the lower door to inspect the flame, it will loose suction that's why there is a peep hole. WOW I thought they all were similar.

Yah, Eko and tarm are positive pressure boilers....... Nice because we can open our bottom door for the flame show.... Not nice because it smokes you out when you try to load wood..... :)

Yes I guess that is a plus having a negative pressure boiler. I just keep the fan on, open the door, look down at the rumbling vortex below and fill the box with wood with out any smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.