Need flange blank source.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kgryder

Jul 23, 2008
NC
I have my Econoburn almost in place and had already decided that I would not have any water storage this year. But two weeks ago I came across two perfect tanks (almost) at a good price. I got 2 SS tanks with 1/4" thick wall that are about 28" in diameter so they will fit through my basement door. The tanks do not look like they were ever used, just laided outside for a long time. These with my SS DHW tank will give me almost 400 gals of storage. Not huge but it should even things out a bit.

The only problem I have is that there are 2 6" diameter pipe flange ports that I need to blank off and 4 2" ports that I will need to get flanges for a NPT connection.
After checking around I may end up spending as much on the flange fittings as I spent on the tanks! Any one know of a good source for some used flanges? Freight will most likely run as much as the parts on these so I don't have a lot of hope of find anything but it's worth asking.
thanks

Are those pressurized tanks or non pressurized? If the latter, then you'll need a heat exchanger.

If those are agricultural ss tanks, then I'd check with a farm supply outlet to try to track something down. Maybe you can have some made by a local machine shop for relatively little money. I doubt they need to be ss.

This will be a pressurized system. If not I could make some blind flanges out of sheet metal and back it up with a piece of wood or something.
On McMaster-Carr a Steel 6" blind flange is $63, plus freight. I was hoping for something cheaper.

I may have to consider just having them welded closed. Maybe just welding a plate to the flare so we don't have to weld to the tank body.

Status
Not open for further replies.