need help/advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trobb

Nov 24, 2009
N.Ky.
I have a Martin Venturi F3 stove.
Bottom fed via auger.
Starting last year it would clog up in about 2 weeks versus the month in half run time it used to give me.
It clogs about 3 inches in and that's it.
Is is possible I need a new auger, or could I have another issue?

No changes in pellets the last 4 years, no changes in the amount of fines...it just starting clogging up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello
I would suggest a type of super auger service here. Take out the auger and check for carbon and burs and if it turns freely.

If you want to do it yourself, I have a blog with suggested instructions to "Pimp Your Auger"
See
http://www.eastcoasthearth.com/Pimp-Up-Your-Auger

I have a Martin Venturi F3 stove.
Bottom fed via auger.
Starting last year it would clog up in about 2 weeks versus the month in half run time it used to give me.
It clogs about 3 inches in and that's it.
Is is possible I need a new auger, or could I have another issue?

No changes in pellets the last 4 years, no changes in the amount of fines...it just starting clogging up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You should test the auger motor for resistance...that motor has been in service 21 years...about

parts are here. You can call them too if you want to speak to a person familiar.

http://www.api-assembled.com/support/martin/martin.htm

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
I bet the Pellet Stove Master has no idea what a Martin Venturi F3 is....:eek:

here's a link to the service manual:

http://www.api-assembled.com/support/martin/martinservice.PDF

That is very rude of you to say Scott!

Also testing the auger motor resistance with an Ohm meter will not help diagnose the auger motor problem if the motor shaft is turning.

Here is a quote I wrote on my web site.
"Auger motors get weak due to aging windings where the laminations breakdown and cause shorts in the wires, worn gears can slip and skip in the gearbox and auger bearings wear so the motor shaft does not turn freely after years of use, so a new auger motor is highly recommended as the total cure for pellets not dropping. Multi-testers using the ohms scale only measure any resistance from one auger motor terminal to the other. Since we are checking continuity here measuring the resistance of the auger motor windings will show little difference between a brand new motor and a very old one. If any part of the coil wire is broken or open the muti-tester will read infinity but the shaft will not turn in that case. Even if the weak auger runs at start up, it may stop running when the stove heats up or with shorts in the windings the magnetic field may be much weaker causing it to have less torque and quit under load. That is a more likely sign the auger motor needs replacemnt."

Reactions: heat seeker
Just jiving with ya masta!

ok ok Don if you have to know (and for all of you who are anxiously waiting my response==c) ....I'm not trying to be rude, just keeping the professional advice in check.

[venture off topic]

You're looking for a name for your website and you go for pellet stove master....well, to be frank, Master is somewhat presumptuous, dont ya think?

Modestpelletstoveguy.com might have been a better fetch.

Kinda like Jason Munson with his Pelletstovepro or any number of other folks that have to pick titles, sir names or superlatives to ascend the ladder of knowledge quicker than skills will follow them.

Pimping an auger isn't what this guy needs. He needs an auger motor...most likely. Sure you may make his auger wicked shiny, but will the stove work? That is the question. Not being rude, just keeping it real.

[/venture off topic]

Is that what you wanted? I will remind you that as professionals we are to give advice and not spam our services. You'll get one of these quips from me every time you side step the area boundaries.

Your Super Duper Auger Service Spectacular isn't gonna work with every stove...do you even know what RPM his motor is? 1? 2? 4? 6? Continuous or intermittent duty? Does he have 1 motor or 2? Is it under feed or drop feed? I'm pointing this out cause I don't think you know.

IS this stove a induced draft, natural draft or positive draft?

That is very rude of you to say Scott! I do know it is one of those older stoves that you state on your web site that you will not fix unless they carry it into your shop! C'mon Why do you say that?

Also testing the auger motor resistance with an Ohm meter will not help diagnose the auger motor problem if the motor shaft is turning.

Here is a quote I wrote on my web site.
"Auger motors get weak due to aging windings where the laminations breakdown and cause shorts in the wires, worn gears can slip and skip in the gearbox and auger bearings wear so the motor shaft does not turn freely after years of use, so a new auger motor is highly recommended as the total cure for pellets not dropping. Multi-testers using the ohms scale only measure any resistance from one auger motor terminal to the other. Since we are checking continuity here measuring the resistance of the auger motor windings will show little difference between a brand new motor and a very old one. If any part of the coil wire is broken or open the muti-tester will read infinity but the shaft will not turn in that case. Even if the weak auger runs at start up, it may stop running when the stove heats up or with shorts in the windings the magnetic field may be much weaker causing it to have less torque and quit under load. That is a more likely sign the auger motor needs replacemnt."
so we agree that he needs and auger motor and not a pimping...just making sure we are on the same page here.

Just jiving with ya masta!

ok ok Don if you have to know (and for all of you who are anxiously waiting my response==c) ....I'm not trying to be rude, just keeping the professional advice in check.

[venture off topic]

You're looking for a name for your website and you go for pellet stove master....well, to be frank, Master is somewhat presumptuous, dont ya think?

Modestpelletstoveguy.com might have been a better fetch.

Kinda like Jason Munson with his Pelletstovepro or any number of other folks that have to pick titles, sir names or superlatives to ascend the ladder of knowledge quicker than skills will follow them.

Pimping an auger isn't what this guy needs. He needs an auger motor...most likely. Sure you may make his auger wicked shiny, but will the stove work? That is the question. Not being rude, just keeping it real.

[/venture off topic]

Is that what you wanted? I will remind you that as professionals we are to give advice and not spam our services. You'll get one of these quips from me every time you side step the area boundaries.

Dons pimping service includes a new Auger motor not just making it shiny....

As for calling out spamming....it is true he is do that to a degree, but aren't you doing the same thing??? Albeit you are more subtle, by calling out others as maybe less trained or having less integrity ( post about Munson) you are in fact trying to stear more business in your direction no?? How about all the info in your signature? Is that not advertising your business every time you make a post?

All that being said, I do enjoy your posts and your knowledge, along with everyone else's is very useful. But it seems to me you are guilty of the same self promoting as the pellet stove master.

Reactions: jtakeman
I will not and do not openly advertise my services in my posts nor do I troll for work here. Just followin' the rules. Truthfully, I learn here more than I contribute and my mind is like a giant sponge just absorbing all of you alls insight...I just connect the dots and that's what makes me a good, maybe even great technician/ mechanic.

If "the master" wants to type out what needs to be done with 8x10 color glossy photos (preferably of the stove in question) then that would be good advice, or he could just say he needs an auger motor and post some links to the parts...note, I'm trying to sell parts here either, though through a PM if someone needed such a thing I may be inclined to source one out in my back room, but I'm not openly saying such.

Yeah, I am opening advertising in my sig, but I ran through webbie and he's cool with it. I'm sure he's cool with Don too...

Sorry if I hurt yer feelings Don. I'm not the end all be all of service but I do know my stuff for the most part.

Hello
I accept your apology Scott but you need to clean up your act Scott.
Testing resistance like you said really would not indicate a worn auger motor. I was not suggesting my services here I am too far away. I was just stating that he have a choice of paying for a service or looking at the steps I outlined and performing the work himself. As far as the RPM of the motor goes, it is very simple to count the revolutions it makes in one minute and order the proper motor. If anymore help is need then a PC private conversation withe and an email address and I can certainly help with any parts purchases!
Also Jason Munson is a pro in his professional manner! I have talked to him myself.

ok kidz, play nice,

im thinking auger motor too question though with bottom feeder are we building carbon causing resistance to rotation? bottom feeders do this (trust me i build them) and if this happens it overworks motors causing failures due to overheating.

my advice would be to pull the auger and inspect the tube (ohm out the motor while you are at it , but if the tube is boogered up ( sorry, redneck tech term) clear that first and see where it gets ya. if its still being an azz about it , change the motor . that stove has a steel auger not cast so polishing isn't going to gain much though painting its with dry moly or graphite spray will help a little bit in the friction battle, less friction, less resistance , less resistance less heat buildup in the motor, less heat in the motor , longer motor life

I was just stating that he have a choice of paying for a service or looking at the steps I outlined and performing the work himself.
He lives in Kentucky.

As far as the RPM of the motor goes, it is very simple to count the revolutions it makes in one minute and order the proper motor.
Not if it isnt spinning or spinning fast enough to begin with

Calling town inspectors incompetent and admitting you violated their town policy will not help your biz.

I said, "Who am I to expose his impenitence." Clearly if the guy cannot tell the difference between a corner installation and a flat wall installation and isn't open to learning the difference between the two, well what can I say. As far as policy...I asked them for their policy and they said, "No comment"...whatever

sorry for hi-jacking your thread OP, continue on

I'll stay outta this, I guess.....check MY sig out......or my location.......and I sell pellets and stoves as well........

I'll stay outta this, I guess.....check MY sig out......or my location.......and I sell pellets and stoves as well........
I see what you mean...nowhere man!

He's as blind as he can be,
Just sees what he wants to see,
Nowhere Man can you see me at all?

Nowhere Man, don't worry,
Take your time, don't hurry,
Leave it all till somebody else
lends you a hand!

Doesn't have a point of view,
Knows not where he's going to,
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man please listen,
you don't know what you're missing
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command!

images.jpg

You spammer! !!!

He gives away free pellets at Christmas time too! Except there prolly Inferno's! ;em ::-)

geez, Jay, Don't tell folks THAT! No, we don't sell Infernals....didnja notice they now have another name for their pellets? I forget what they were called, but walked by the Big Y and there they were..... :eek:

geez, Jay, Don't tell folks THAT! No, we don't sell Infernals....didnja notice they now have another name for their pellets? I forget what they were called, but walked by the Big Y and there they were..... :eek:

One other name for Infernos is nation's choice, one of my customer's purchase some. There are big surprises in some of the bags!
See pics of the big surprises I took here! Had to drive 1.5 hours each way to show the stove was not the problem!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hopper-hangup-what-is-this-weird-stuff.94633/#post-1248157

One other name for Infernos is nation's choice, one of my customer's purchase some. There are big surprises in some of the bags!
See pics of the big surprises I took here! Had to drive 1.5 hours each way to show the stove was not the problem!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hopper-hangup-what-is-this-weird-stuff.94633/#post-1248157
Don, I replied in that thread, now here...there is absolutely no way those clinkers came out of the bag. They came out of the stove and the customer managed to accidentally return them in to the hopper.

Don, I replied in that thread, now here...there is absolutely no way those clinkers came out of the bag. They came out of the stove and the customer managed to accidentally return them in to the hopper.

There is absolutely no way they came from the burnpot. They are too big to fit in the burnpot and too odd of a shape! My customer would never do that. You are full of it! Now that you are a dealer you have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.