Need help/advise from Mnt. Vernon AE Insert owners.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After running my Mt.Vernon AE insert for the last month I decided to change my existing 3" flex/Duravent vent system to a 4" flex liner. I will also be adding an o.a.k. Both the vent and the o.a.k. will be run up thru a 18' masonry flue. I'm now trying to come up with a parts list of what I need to order.

I took off the right side cover of the insert and noticed that instead of using an adapter on the top vent outlet the installers mounted a 3"X12" pc of type "L" Duravent pipe. The pipe is labeled 3SPXL12. The pipe is screwed and rtv'd in place. The flow arrow is pointed down instead of up and the pipe is slightly tilted back to clear the top of the insert frame. My guess is this was done to keep the vent as straight as possible and get the pipe above the top of the insert. Is the flow direction on this 12" pc of pipe crucial? With the way the pipe is installed (upside down) I figure I would have to come up with a 3" male to 4" flex adapter to make what I currently have work. Where is an adapter like that even available?

From looking in the side opening it doesn't look as if the vent can be run straight up without interfering with the case. If this is true, what is the exact configuration you other Mt. Vernon insert owners are using to offset the vent pipe to clear and get above the top of the insert to go up a masonry flue? Did you have to use an adapter with two 45 degree fittings and a flex adapter or how exactly was it done on your install? If I can safely use the existing upside down, tilted piece I will. Since I will be removing the insert anyway, I want to make sure everything is up to par for next heating season.

I especially need advise from owners and installers familiar with the Mt. Vernon AE insert. Thanks in advance for any replies and advise.

Attachments

• IMG_3181.JPG
    IMG_3181.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 142
Hello,

Any AE insert owners or installers that can help me out? Thanks.

Hello,

The exhaust vent pipe on my insert runs straight up from the stove. The frame of the stove is not in the way. I have about 17 feet of liner at 3 inches. Why are you going to 4 inch? You are within the spec for 3 inch pipe.

The direction of the pipe is there to guide how it should be installed. Not sure why they installed it in reverse but if you don't have any leaks it is fine. Since this piece of pipe was installed backwards, you will also need to have the adaptor installed backwards, otherwise it won't fit. Make sure to use high temp silicone sealant.

You can get the adaptor at home improvement stores or where you purchased your stove. Make sure that it is the same brand as the pipe you already have. Same brand pipes fit better.

The exhaust vent pipe on my insert runs straight up from the stove. The frame of the stove is not in the way. I have about 17 feet of liner at 3 inches. Why are you going to 4 inch? You are within the spec for 3 inch pipe.

The direction of the pipe is there to guide how it should be installed. Not sure why they installed it in reverse but if you don't have any leaks it is fine. Since this piece of pipe was installed backwards, you will also need to have the adaptor installed backwards, otherwise it won't fit. Make sure to use high temp silicone sealant.

You can get the adaptor at home improvement stores or where you purchased your stove. Make sure that it is the same brand as the pipe you already have. Same brand pipes fit better.

John193,

First off, thanks for the reply.

My reasoning for going with the 4" flex vent is because the actual chimney is 18' and I am allowing extra for stove hookup and about 2' above the top plate so the total length will be in the 21-23 ' range.

I've been running the stove about a month and the pipe that is installed backwards does not leak.....I've tested it several times during start-up with the room dark using a flashlight.

I already bought some high temp sealant. I've checked the local Lowe's and Home Depot and they don't have the fittings I need. As far as the dealer goes, I figure the dumb ass installers (that work at the dealer) would have used an adapter if they had one instead of jury rigging it like they did.

I will probably remove what was installed and order Duravent pro fittings and flex wherever I can get the best deal online. That way with everything installed I can just unclamp the exhaust transition from the insert when I pull it out for cleaning/ maintenance.

Thanks again for responding.

Anyone else have anything to add???????

It sounds like you are on the right track. My liner goes straight into my stove and I use the quick disconnect clamps for cleaning. It's very handy.

It sounds like you are on the right track. My liner goes straight into my stove and I use the quick disconnect clamps for cleaning. It's very handy.

What I'm talking about and assuming you are referring to as the "quick disconnect clamps" are pictured in the insert manual on pg 46, figure 46.1 part number 42 . This part attaches to the combustion blower outlet. Is this correct??

Hello,

What I'm talking about and assuming you are referring to as the "quick disconnect clamps" are pictured in the insert manual on pg 46, figure 46.1 part number 42 . This part attaches to the combustion blower outlet. Is this correct??
yes, that's what i'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.