NEED HELP AGAIN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

k0wtz

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2010
missouri
Ok in reading up on my Vermont Castings Stardance stove the manual says I have a direct vent or a natural vent. I have no idea about any of these two but in thinking and looking at other installations I think I can go through the wall about 7 feet up which would be a direct vent. Am I right?

So anyone experience in this sort of venting and what will I need for this? I am thinking 7 feet of b-vent pipe an elbow to a coller to the outside.

thanks

bob

You need to know which venting type you need for your installation. (normally appliances are built for direct vent use or natural vent use and are not convertible)

This appliance is supplied as a direct vent but can be converted to a natural vented appliance. (Page 5)

Direct vent means the intake is directly connected to outside air source.
The manual describes it as such on page 3;

‘Direct Vent’ describes a sealed combustion system in which
incoming outside air for combustion and outgoing exhaust enter
and exit through two separate concentric passages within the
same sealed vent system. The system does not use room air to
support combustion. The Direct Vent system permits the gas appliance
to be vented directly to the outside atmosphere through
the side of the house or vertically through the roof. Conventional
venting systems (Natural Vent) take air from the room for combustion
and vent the exhaust vertically through the roof to the
atmosphere.

For direct vent the outlet is in the center (exhaust) and inlet is the larger pipe around the center.
You need the correct pipe and outdoor vent termination parts for intake and exhaust in the same vent.

Natural vent means the rising exhaust gasses lighter than air rise up the exhaust and intake air enters from inside the room. If the height isn't correct it will not create enough draft rising up the flue pipe to allow atmospheric air pressure to PUSH into intake. The intake used for natural vent is called a draft hood to get air from inside the building, with part number and explanation on page 5.

That is a very simple explanation of the differences. For example when connecting to the direct vent air intake / exhaust, you must follow guidelines to assure enough draft of rising gasses to allow enough air into the appliance. The chart on page 8 gives you the height and horizontal run that will work using direct vent mode.

Read entire installation instructions and ask before doing if you're not sure about anything.
https://woodstoves.net/documents/Vermont-Castings/stardance-dvtcs-7.pdf

ok got that so if I go through the wall b-vent is ok. I thought I read all that but since I am not a tradesman its hard to understand. I do have a friend in the business I can call him also.
thanks

bob

ok got that so if I go through the wall b-vent is ok. I thought I read all that but since I am not a tradesman its hard to understand. I do have a friend in the business I can call him also.
thanks

bob
oh coaly hold the phone this is a gas stove not wood. any difference?

oh coaly hold the phone this is a gas stove not wood. any difference?
Is the model number of your stove on the list of model numbers on the cover of manual that I posted the link to?

Be sure this is the correct manual first.

Is the model number of your stove on the list of model numbers on the cover of manual that I posted the link to?

Be sure this is the correct manual first.
coaly my stardance is an old model probably made in the 90s sometime there is no tags on it anywhere. I just redid the gas valve setup to a Robertshaw and it works the old valve was a Honeywell no longer made. maybe I can do this this way. my family room is 26x25 with 10f walls. I am no heating with a non-vented procom and it will run you out but I don't like it.

so how about this how would you design and put this venting system in? I would like to run it out the wall seems much simplier to and in my short study it seems the best also.

thanks

bob

It must be installed as per the installation instructions in the correct manual.
I can't help you without knowing what model number and manual to follow.

Your first post states you have the manual. Did it come with the heater? Does the manual match the appliance? The manual will have the model number on the cover.

Your first post also states it is "a direct vent or natural vent" heater. That means it can be used as either "direct vented" getting outside air to the burner and exhausting it back out, or "naturally vented" meaning it burns inside air and exhausts the bi-products of combustion out the exhaust to the outdoors. There are different parts required for the different uses. They will be in your manual.

A search of current codes in Missouri gives the following result;
The State of Missouri has not adopted statewide energy codes or statewide building codes. However numerous municipalities and counties throughout Missouri have independently adopted the International Residential Code (IRC), International Building Code (IBC), and the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC).

If you are in a location that has adopted the ICC codes, the UL tag is required for use since this code requires ALL appliances to be UL Listed. It is not Listed with out the UL tag.

OK after some extensive reading I have it figured out. That adapter that v/c suggest threw me but once again Amazon had what I needed.

thanks for the help

bob

as a side note I found the drawing of the stardance stove mine matches up exactly so I am going with duravent direct vent piping 5ft, 1elbow, 1 adjustable to the outside, a through the wall collar, the adapter at the bottom, and there is some question whether it is needed or not and the shield, cut a 4in opening and done!

already have gas plumbed in and operating another stove.

thanks for the help

bob

well now things are interesting. more research has came up with an early vc stardance stove I am now a natural vent stove not happy the other was going to be so much easier but thankfully I had not ordered the d/vent pipes as yet.

so I will have to go through the roof with b-vent no biggee just more work this spring.

thanks everyone

bob