Need help asap!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike(nj)

Sep 18, 2008
CNJ
I own a small house. Its 1000 sf with 3 bed rooms. I'm looking at a Englander 13 at HD. My brother said get a pellet but i'm not into needing power for it to work and you still need to buy the pellets. I can get lots of wood for free.........anyway, my living room is very small and my wife isn't too excited about the idea of moving the TV/center. It will have to go as its a corner unit and I think thats the best place for the stove. What do you guys think? Should I "make room"?

well, thats a pretty small place. you can definatly get a smaller stove to heat the area. just remember that the smaller stove wont have the heat output or duration. Do you have the room to store the wood outside?

mike(nj) said:
I own a small house. Its 1000 sf with 3 bed rooms. I'm looking at a Englander 13 at HD. My brother said get a pellet but i'm not into needing power for it to work and you still need to buy the pellets. I can get lots of wood for free.........anyway, my living room is very small and my wife isn't too excited about the idea of moving the TV/center. It will have to go as its a corner unit and I think thats the best place for the stove. What do you guys think? Should I "make room"?

Your and my situtations are very similar. My house is essentually the same size and I have an Englander 13 setup kitty corner in my living room. I was very concerned at first about it taking up to much room. But after everything was installed it worked out (and looks) quite nice.

We heat about that much room with our Tribute. We also had to rearrange somethings, and the stove does a great job. With a small stove, you don't have the burn time that you would have with a larger stove, that's why we went with the soapstone. With our work schedules, it works out just fine. Move some stuff around, you will find that you will get used to it pretty quick. Our stove is pictured to the left.

Can you put in in a different location. We have about the same size house and we wanted to put our stove in the living room which is very closed in. We are concern that the stove heat would get trap and heat us out of it and not heat the rest of the house. So were putting it in the dining room/kitchen which is centrally located.

Your and my situtations are very similar. My house is essentually the same size and I have an Englander 13 setup kitty corner in my living room. I was very concerned at first about it taking up to much room. But after everything was installed it worked out (and looks) quite nice.

I said F**K IT! after reading this, I went to HD and bought the Englander 13 and some pipes. Had a 10% discount too which saved a few bucks. Got the stove for $720 + tax. Now I just need to install it and get some wood & log splitter. Some guy and his son came in looking for pellets but HD had none. They said everything is sold out! Good thing I didn't listen to my brother and get a pellet stove.......

It's late in the season for splitting wood. Modern EPA stoves are not too happy burning fresh cut wood. I'd try to buy seasoned, split wood this year and start on the wood pile next spring.

BeGreen said:
It's late in the season for splitting wood. Modern EPA stoves are not too happy burning fresh cut wood. I'd try to buy seasoned, split wood this year and start on the wood pile next spring.

What about dead standing Oak? My first season burning with an EPA fireplace. The trees I've cut have been dead for at least 5 years and have no bark on them anymore.

The best way to determine that is a moisture meter or a lot of experience with firewood. The cores of some trees can hold moisture for a long time. You'll have to tell us what you discover.

mike(nj) said:

I said F**K IT! after reading this, I went to HD and bought the Englander 13 and some pipes. Had a 10% discount too which saved a few bucks. Got the stove for $720 + tax. Now I just need to install it and get some wood & log splitter. Some guy and his son came in looking for pellets but HD had none. They said everything is sold out! Good thing I didn't listen to my brother and get a pellet stove.......

Good for you. Its a great little unit.....throws a ton of heat and very easy to operate. Do yourself a favor and pick up a stove top thermometer. This simple device will tell you how well your operating and will help you to keep from under or over firing your stove.

There's definately a learning curve with these new EPA stoves, so just experiment with it and have fun.

least expensive log splitter around is the huskee 22 ton with the B&S;6.5 hp ezee recoil starter
from www.tractorsupply.com for $1150.oo It comes fully assembled, with engine & hydralic oil already installed so that you don't end up paying 120.oo for hydralic oil like so other manufactures make you do.

It takes a 2 inch ball if you want to tow it home but I took mine back in a full size pick up truck
I had to open the slideing rear window to let the 14inches of the beam stick into the cab through the open window but that was because the pu was a 4 door king cab with a 4 x 6 bed.

You wouldn't have that trouble with a 4 x 8 ft bed.

I love the way the splitter powers through the toughest knots & the biggest stumps. I just
rev up the motor for the power log busting ram & then set it back to idle speed to split up the quarters. It is both vertical & horizontal but I dont like to lift wood so i use vertical all the time.

Its a kick ass get the job done quick machine but check the hydralic oil level & the engine oil level, don't trust the salesman at tractorsupply.com

they shorted me five quarts of hydralic fluid & that costed me $15.oo extra from a local supplier but was cheaper than a long distance trip back to tractorsupply to complain about it.

So check the dip sticks before you leave the store.

eernest4, I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to look for a used one but for now can borrow my buddies or brothers(I hope!).

Tfin, thanks for the tip.

Getting my saws ready today.....a sthil 024 & Homelite 27av. Both were free(had to fix them though). The 024 needed a piston & rings and the 27av sucked a intake gasket. Bought a new chain for the 27av and trying to find one for the 024 and i'll be ready to find some free wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.