NEED HELP BIG TIME Quadra Fire PRE AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayseal22

Jan 16, 2009
Boiling Springs, PA
Ok so I have a Mt vernon Pre AE and Its worked ok for the past year and a half. This winter we decided to just use it to heat our turn of the century farm home. Well we have the had the pipes freeze now today for the second time and we came home last night and there is this real bad grinding noise from the blower on the stove. Its the one that starts with the stove. Its just so bad sounding. i want to shut the thing down but then i will have no heat. WHAT DO I DO.

So I think its the combustion blower and everyone says its 5 to 7 business days to get it. UGGH. I will have to but 400 worth of oil in the mean time THIS BLOWS GOATS. I AM JUST ABOUT OVER THIS PELLET STOVE CRAP time to get a heat pump

Bummer Dude. I would never abandon my oil furnace. It's ready when I need it.
Mike -

Jayseal22 said:
Ok so I have a Mt vernon Pre AE and Its worked ok for the past year and a half. This winter we decided to just use it to heat our turn of the century farm home. Well we have the had the pipes freeze now today for the second time and we came home last night and there is this real bad grinding noise from the blower on the stove. Its the one that starts with the stove. Its just so bad sounding. i want to shut the thing down but then i will have no heat. WHAT DO I DO.

Is there any chance that the grinding noise is happening because it needs a good cleaning ?

I agree about keeping a backup ready... I use 2 separate programmable thermostats (one for oil & one for pellets). If the pellet stove fails for any reason the oil will kick in and save the day.

With the current temperatures (-4F this morning) and my home's lack of insulation I am actually running both units to avoid any frozen pipes.

I have a Quadrafire Castile, I have been burning for 3 years. I would first check to see if there is anything behind or in front of the exhaust fan. Take the inner right hand panel off, get a flash light and look through the fins, also spin the fan blade. Does it spin freely or does it drag or not spin? You could have ALOT of ash or a dead bird, mouse, or someother type of varment in the pipe behind the fan. Maybe your whole axhaust pipe needs cleaning. Fly ash tends to build up in your horizontal sections. It may be 1/2 or more blocked.

I cleaned my exhaust pipe last summer, it was half full of ash. The exhaust fan would periodically make a strange vibrating sound.

those motors rarely make noise when they quit, I'd look at a cleaning

also if that is a pre AE, then the stv is 4-5 yrs old, has it had regular maint.??

Status
Not open for further replies.