Need Help Choosing a Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Parallax

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Hey guys. I used to post here frequently, back when I bought and then had a Blaze King Ashford 30. Was a beautiful stove but never worked right in my home. We didn't have enough draw for a cat-stove and would often spill smoke on start-up. Also got leaks from the door if the seal wasn't 100% perfect. A couple of years ago, we let it go and haven't had a stove since.

The house is 2800 square feet and heated mostly by a mini-split heat pump system. We live in the Pacific Northwest and the mini-splits are adequate most of the time. We just need a boost when it gets really cold outside, as the mini-splits lose efficiency when temperatures drop into the 30s. We had a cold spell earlier this winter where it hit zero degrees and the house was almost unlivable. We came close to going to a motel.

Usually, it's not that bad. When temperatures drop int the 20s, the mini-splits struggle to keep up and the house gets cold but we get by wearing extra layers. It doesn't get cold like that often around here.

We had the beautiful enamel finish on the Blaze King and my wife wanted something like that again. I thought of the PE Anderlea T-5, as it's a reburn tube stove, really well made, that can be bought with the enamel finish. Problem was it was during covid and there was no availability. So I let it sit.

Now, a couple of years later, we're no longer feeling it important to have the enamel finish, as the stove sits in the family room. So I'm looking at options. The T-5 is still one of them. It's a bit small for a 2800 square foot home but since we'd be using it only occasionally and to supplement the mini-splits, I still think it might be a good choice.

Just saw a listing for a Quadra-Fire 3100 Millennium on Craigslist. It's not far from us. I asked the guy how old it is. He told me it's from 2004. He's asking $1,100. I have a few questions. Is it safe to buy a 20 year old stove? How does one ascertain if it works well? If so, is that a fair price? And is the Millenium a good stove or am I better off sticking with the Anderlea? Thanks so much.

Is your flue particularly short? If you don't have good draw the stove you choose may not have all that different of an outcome catalyst or not.

Reactions: CT Treeman
Is your flue particularly short? If you don't have good draw the stove you choose may not have all that different of an outcome catalyst or not.
No, we have a very long flue. It's straight up. The issue is more than we live among very tall trees. Even higher than the flue.

One has to be careful starting any stove in those conditions but it was manageable. With a draw collar or just using a torch to shoot some hot air up the flue before lighting the stove. The issue was more once it settled down and smoked. A reburn tube stove wouldn't have that issue. I imagine we'd dump a whole bunch of BTUs into the house when needed. If the temperature dropped really low, maybe several times a day. But when temperatures just drop into the 20s or 30s, maybe in the morning to warm up the house when we wake up. Perhaps again in the afternoon, depending on need. With a rigorous fire, there shouldn't be a problem.

The T5 or T6 will work well on a shorter flue. So will some Regency and most SBI stoves. The Quad is going to want a bit more robust draft and I would be hesitant to get a stove that old unless it has been stored for most of the time. If the issue is draft reversal or negative room pressure, then most stoves could have some problems with a cold flue. I don't recall. Did you put a manometer on the stack on this stove? If so, what was the lowest reading?

How large is the stove area? How well did the Ashford heat this area? The T5 will match or exceed the A30 in high output, it just won't burn as long on milder days.

Reactions: anno Domini
The T5 or T6 will work well on a shorter flue. So will some Regency and most SBI stoves. The Quad is going to want a bit more robust draft and I would be hesitant to get a stove that old unless it has been stored for most of the time. If the issue is draft reversal or negative room pressure, then most stoves could have some problems with a cold flue. I don't recall. Did you put a manometer on the stack on this stove? If so, what was the lowest reading?

How large is the stove area? How well did the Ashford heat this area? The T5 will match or exceed the A30 in high output, it just won't burn as long on milder days.
Thank you begreen. You probably don't remember me but you've always been so helpful. Your responses are well reasoned and based on a wealth of knowledge. Just want to make sure you know you're appreciated.

By stove-area, I assume you mean the room in which the stove will sit? It's an open floor plan so the stove heats the entire home. Or did, before we invested in the mini-splits. For several years we heated the whole 2800 square feet with the Ashford 30, running it pretty much all the time in winter. There were cold spots but, for the most part, it worked. The stove sits at one end of the house downstairs. At the other end is a staircase leading to the four bedrooms upstairs. So the layout was ideal. Just had problems with our draw.

You've spoken highly of the quality of PE stoves in the past. Do you feel similarly about Regency and SBI? (What does SBI stand for?) Thanks.

Reactions: anno Domini
Was your flue double wall where exposed, and insulated where in a brick chimney (and of course chimney pipe elsewhere)?

If not, you could loose a lot of heat in the long path up, which is problematic for (low exhaust gas temps of a BK) running low.

I agree a tube stove might be better here, but you still would have to be careful with draft if your gases cool down a lot.
Best to have double wall stove pipe, insulated chimney liner etc.

Was your flue double wall where exposed, and insulated where in a brick chimney (and of course chimney pipe elsewhere)?

If not, you could loose a lot of heat in the long path up, which is problematic for (low exhaust gas temps of a BK) running low.

I agree a tube stove might be better here, but you still would have to be careful with draft if your gases cool down a lot.
Best to have double wall stove pipe, insulated chimney liner etc.
Thanks. Yes, we have double walled pipe. No chase box. Just the pipe extending high above the house into the trees.

Reactions: stoveliker
Thank you begreen. You probably don't remember me but you've always been so helpful. Your responses are well reasoned and based on a wealth of knowledge. Just want to make sure you know you're appreciated.

By stove-area, I assume you mean the room in which the stove will sit? It's an open floor plan so the stove heats the entire home. Or did, before we invested in the mini-splits. For several years we heated the whole 2800 square feet with the Ashford 30, running it pretty much all the time in winter. There were cold spots but, for the most part, it worked. The stove sits at one end of the house downstairs. At the other end is a staircase leading to the four bedrooms upstairs. So the layout was ideal. Just had problems with our draw.

You've spoken highly of the quality of PE stoves in the past. Do you feel similarly about Regency and SBI? (What does SBI stand for?) Thanks.
Yes, I recall some of the postings and smoke smell issues and discussing potential replacements.

You folks get a real cold dump up there from the Frasier River canyon. When you were at zero we were around 17º. That had to be rough. For this reason, I recommend going for another 3 cu ft stove and don't worry about the enameling. You won't get that on too many large stoves. However, if enamel is important, the PE Summit classic LE comes in a porcelain enameled cabinet. PE stoves have a unique firebox design that is simple, durable, and low maintenance. PE showed a new design at the HPBA show this month. I am not sure when testing will be done and when they will come out, but the goal is for them to be tax credit eligible.

The SBI group has many stoves under their umbrella. Most commonly mentioned here are Osburn and Drolet. They are good, conventional tube stoves. Most are black boxes. The Osburn line is their flagship with some better details. Drolet is their value line and so is Century. They acquired the Englander line last year. SBI provide tax credit certificates for some models.

Regency stoves are good also. They make conventional steel, black boxes in non-cat and cat designs. In non-cats, the largest is the F2450 which is a 2.4 cu ft stove.

Yes, I recall some of the postings and smoke smell issues and discussing potential replacements.

You folks get a real cold dump up there from the Frasier River canyon. When you were at zero we were around 17º. That had to be rough. For this reason, I recommend going for another 3 cu ft stove and don't worry about the enameling. You won't get that on too many large stoves. However, if enamel is important, the PE Summit classic LE comes in a porcelain enameled cabinet. PE stoves have a unique firebox design that is simple, durable, and low maintenance. PE showed a new design at the HPBA show this month. I am not sure when testing will be done and when they will come out, but the goal is for them to be tax credit eligible.

The SBI group has many stoves under their umbrella. Most commonly mentioned here are Osburn and Drolet. They are good, conventional tube stoves. Most are black boxes. The Osburn line is their flagship with some better details. Drolet is their value line and so is Century. They acquired the Englander line last year. SBI provide tax credit certificates for some models.

Regency stoves are good also. They make conventional steel, black boxes in non-cat and cat designs. In non-cats, the largest is the F2450 which is a 2.4 cu ft stove.
Thank you. I guess an option is to wait for the new PE line. Does one have to worry about design issues on a brand new stove? The tax credit would be nice.

Here's a used stove that's not far from me. The ad says, "Complete Pacific Energy wood burning stove set including stack and fittings, vent ducting, thermometer, wood/tile pedestal, wood ring and wood carrier tray. Only used a few times. $595 OBO."

That's certainly very inexpensive. If it's only been used a few times, could be a real steal. I find the thing ugly and my wife would too I'm sure. Maybe it would clean up some. If that's gold tone, though, she'll probably reject it. Doesn't look like a huge box but since we're only using it to supplement, it would probably be fine. Just have to load and light it more often in the cold weather.

I've written the guy to find out what model it is. Have not heard back yet.

Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 3.06.49 PM.png

Hey just a thought but a hybrid might suit your needs just fine. You get air tubes and a cat. If you are mainly using it as supplemental heat when the heat pumps are not enough then you don't have a high demand for heat. If your wood is dry the air tubes will roll secondaries and the cat will radiate a ton of heat all while having a much lower wood consumption.

When my stove was working properly I could easily get 12 hour burns between reloads. That is running as my only heat source. I didn't turn the boiler on for baseboard heat even when it was in the negatives outside. My house is by no means tight either.

Less potential wood usage if you turn down the primary air and plenty of heat over time.

Last edited:
Thank you. I guess an option is to wait for the new PE line. Does one have to worry about design issues on a brand new stove? The tax credit would be nice.

Here's a used stove that's not far from me. The ad says, "Complete Pacific Energy wood burning stove set including stack and fittings, vent ducting, thermometer, wood/tile pedestal, wood ring and wood carrier tray. Only used a few times. $595 OBO."

That's certainly very inexpensive. If it's only been used a few times, could be a real steal. I find the thing ugly and my wife would too I'm sure. Maybe it would clean up some. If that's gold tone, though, she'll probably reject it. Doesn't look like a huge box but since we're only using it to supplement, it would probably be fine. Just have to load and light it more often in the cold weather.

I've written the guy to find out what model it is. Have not heard back yet.

View attachment 325218
That's an oldie. Looks like it might be from the 1990s, probably an original Super.

Hey just a thought but a hybrid might suit your needs just fine. You get air tubes and a cat. If you are mainly using it as supplemental heat when the heat pumps are not enough then you don't have a high demand for heat. If your wood is dry the air tubes will roll secondaries and the cat will radiate a ton of heat all while having a much lower wood consumption.

When my stove was working properly I could easily get 12 hour burns between reloads. That is running as my only heat source. I didn't turn the boiler on for baseboard heat even when it was in the negatives outside. My house is by no means tight either.

Less wood usage, plenty of heat over time.
I think the key need here is an easy breathing stove to deal with weak draft at times.

I would go for one pleases the eye (of the Mrs.). After all you two have to look at it for the next two decades or so.
I.e. don't get an old and ugly one.

Reactions: begreen
Thanks folks. Good advice. No hurry now that things are warming up. Though we got a bit of snow today, the house is warm and comfortable. Might not get super cold again this season.

Don't see myself going with a hybrid. Too complex. Would prefer something simple. Still leaning toward the PE, most likely the T5.

Reactions: stoveliker
It's going to get cold tonight. We dropped 13º in 2 hrs. Down to 35º now. Not zero, but cold enough.

It's going to get cold tonight. We dropped 13º in 2 hrs. Down to 35º now. Not zero, but cold enough.
Here it's supposed to go down to 27. To the point where our mini-splits start to labor. We'll be alright since it's night time.

I think the key need here is an easy breathing stove to deal with weak draft at times.
Wouldn't addressing the negative pressure in the home be something to look into? That is what usually draws air into the house.

Would an outside air intake for the stove be a good thing to try?

I don't know how close the trees are to the top of his chimney it would have to be very close to affect draft.

Reactions: Parallax
If that is the issue then possibly yes, but there are other potential causes including chimney location and local terrain. I think they had an OAK installed. Read the old thread, there were many suggestions and posts on this Ashford install.

Reactions: Parallax
begreen has an amazing memory. Yes, we did all sorts of stuff. There is an OAK. I'll hook it up to any new stove for sure.