Need help choosing a wood/coal furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPPJosh

Nov 1, 2014
Shamburg
I need a new furnace asap. My ashley 24 is only about four years old and it has warped,cracked,had electrical component failure and generally gone to junk. Obviously I cant afford a new furnace every few years so Im trying to choose better this time. My house is about 1600 square feet counting the unfinished basement where the furnace resides. This is my primary/only heat source. I have an oil furnace but only set it to come on to keep house above freezing .
The ashley would get hot fast but also cool down fast. It would not burn the bituminous coal I had available locally without the draft fan running almost full speed.
Also RFI energy is where I buy coal locally and they are going out of business. When the five ton I have is gone there is no more so I will be back to wood for the future.

Im considering the Ashley 30, US stove 1602r or the 1802. I would rather have the 1802 but the budget is badly stretched for the 1602.

I really need some advice from others experience as trial and error buying furnaces is way too expensive.

Interested in a Charmaster?

If you plan to use wood going forward, I would invest in a gasifier.

I would look into a Harman furnace or a Hitzer if your looking to burn coal. Many furnaces claim to burn wood/coal but do lt very inefficiently. These furnaces I listed are more for the coal side than wood. What I would look into is why after 4 years your furnace was ruined. Too much draft, undersized, etc. Is your home insulated, how tall is your chimney,etc? Do you burn more coal than wood?

It's a nice one.......still shiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.