Need help choosing New Large Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiWood

Hearth Supporter
Nov 28, 2010
Asheville, NC
I am finishing a foreclosure I purchased and need to finish up the fireplace. The house is large, approx 4500 sq ft, 3 levels with a daylight walkout basement. Very open floor plan. Main floor is 1750 sq ft, Upper floor is 1750 sq ft, basement is 1000 sq ft. House is very well insulated, new construction, double pane glass in every window/door. I have two Hvac systems - the main floor/basement share an electric heat pump with a propane fired furnace. The upper floor has it's own all electric heat pump. Both systems will be high efficiency. I would still like to heat mostly with wood. I am located in western NC - Asheville at 2800'.

See pics here: http://tekspot.com/fireplace

The existing fireplace is Majestic SHR36, wood burning with a gas starter. It is sheetrocked over 2x4 construction and is unfinished with no hearth yet. I will be removing the sheetrock and replacing with Hardy Backer Board and imitation stone veneer. So I will have total access to redo the entire fireplace. The fireplace is 72" wide by 35" deep by 14' high (inside portion). It extends above the roof another 10' and the metal pipe sticks up another 6', approximately.

I have been reading on here a lot but am kind of lost as to where to begin. Will I be able to use any of the existing flue or do I need to rip it all out? My plans are to add one large insert on the main (middle) floor. I would also like to run an extra flue now for a freestanding stove in the basement later on. I want to do this once, and do it right.

I figured something like a PE Summit or equivalent would mostly heat the middle and upper floors. The stairwell and balcony are all open to the living room where the fireplace is. I don't think it gets ridiculously cold here, but on those really cold days I could fire up the basement stove to help out. I really like the looks of the Jotul 550 and Hearthstone Clydesdale but they may be a little small for my needs. However, with a stove in the basement I might be able to get away with undersizing the main insert a little.

Unfortunately, I need to finish this up real soon. What do you all think?

Forgot to mention: I am from Miami, so I have no experience with cold weather, let alone wood stoves. I'm on 3 acres with quite a few trees, several dead ones too - some very large oaks, and locust. However, none of it will be seasoned for this winter. So for at least the first year I'll be burning wood that is delivered and less then desirable.

Jotul 550 is approximately 3 cubic foot firebox. It provides a good amount of the heat in our 2800 sf colonial in New England. I would start with the insert in the main floor and see how you do. A better choice for more heat might be a big freestanding stove. They provide radiant and convective heat, where inserts provide convective heat only.

Thanks Kathleen, will check those guys out - always nice to have feedback on a shop.

S.J.B - The Jotul would fit in better with the existing chimney layout, the house is very contemporary. I think I'm stuck with an insert for the main floor.

MiamiWood said:
I am finishing a foreclosure I purchased and need to finish up the fireplace. The house is large, approx 4500 sq ft, 3 levels with a daylight walkout basement. Very open floor plan. Main floor is 1750 sq ft, Upper floor is 1750 sq ft, basement is 1000 sq ft. House is very well insulated, new construction, double pane glass in every window/door. I have two Hvac systems - the main floor/basement share an electric heat pump with a propane fired furnace. The upper floor has it's own all electric heat pump. Both systems will be high efficiency. I would still like to heat mostly with wood. I am located in western NC - Asheville at 2800'.

See pics here: http://tekspot.com/fireplace

The existing fireplace is Majestic SHR36, wood burning with a gas starter. It is sheetrocked over 2x4 construction and is unfinished with no hearth yet. I will be removing the sheetrock and replacing with Hardy Backer Board and imitation stone veneer. So I will have total access to redo the entire fireplace. The fireplace is 72" wide by 35" deep by 14' high (inside portion). It extends above the roof another 10' and the metal pipe sticks up another 6', approximately.

I have been reading on here a lot but am kind of lost as to where to begin. Will I be able to use any of the existing flue or do I need to rip it all out? My plans are to add one large insert on the main (middle) floor. I would also like to run an extra flue now for a freestanding stove in the basement later on. I want to do this once, and do it right.

I figured something like a PE Summit or equivalent would mostly heat the middle and upper floors. The stairwell and balcony are all open to the living room where the fireplace is. I don't think it gets ridiculously cold here, but on those really cold days I could fire up the basement stove to help out. I really like the looks of the Jotul 550 and Hearthstone Clydesdale but they may be a little small for my needs. However, with a stove in the basement I might be able to get away with undersizing the main insert a little.

Unfortunately, I need to finish this up real soon. What do you all think?

Forgot to mention: I am from Miami, so I have no experience with cold weather, let alone wood stoves. I'm on 3 acres with quite a few trees, several dead ones too - some very large oaks, and locust. However, none of it will be seasoned for this winter. So for at least the first year I'll be burning wood that is delivered and less then desirable.

That's what I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.