Need Help Deciding on chain saw Time out adding another saw after some checking any pros cons 310

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
...and they dont hold there vaule like a stihl
They would only need to hold their value if you plan on selling it. I plan to keep mine for as long as I live. Who cares what value they hold for the "next of kin".

I wont be able to cut my whole life so at some point I will sell mine.

Resale value is directly connected to the life expectancy of an item. Mercedes, BMW, or Audi hold their resale value because they're more likely to be running well down the road. I'm fairly certain Stihl falls in this category--just try to find as many people using Husky or Dolmar saws from the past.

S

I recently purchased the MS 361 and love it.

With the amount you will be cutting it would be great power and weight.

I've had a 310 for the past 9 years or so. The year after I bought it, dad picked up a 360 pro. The 360 is a definitely a nicer saw, more torque, smother, and a bit faster though the log when compared to my 310. I've used both for long periods of time and I don't really notice the weight difference, but I'm 6'6" 290 lbs so take that for what it's worth. Personally I'm ready to put the 310 aside for something in the 440 - 460 range or larger. The 310 is still running good after cutting ~12 full cords per year year in and year out. I can't justify the cost of a new 441 or 460, so it will have to be something used. In my situation I will not upgrade to the 361 (or 362) even if it cures cancer. There is not enough of a step up from my 310 to justify the additional $$ now that I have made my investment. I don't know what the cost difference is now, but when I bought it was ~$150 (from what I remember) to go from the 310 to the 360 pro. In retrospect that may have been money well spent, but I suspect I still would want a bigger saw now. In either case you won't be disappointed, but if you have the $$ I would go for the 361.

For myself, if anyone has an 044, 046, 066, 440, 460, 660, or even an 090 they want to part with cheap let me know :). Woodcutting season will soon be here again and I'd love to have a little more power.

kscowboy said:
I work for the state as and equimpent mech so i have to fix everything from a chain saw concrete cutter to the international dump truck motor i have tore down now so if a repair comes up not sure how much problem that would be less a part is needed
From what you've said prev, you want a good performing saw, you're not looking to spend more than you have to & you're confident you can fix your own saw if needed.
So go find & buy the saw you really want USED. Throw some parts on it if needed and use the couple hundred bucks you saved for good chains, safety gear, a new maul....
Check out your local saw shops, pawn shops, farm sales...

Just peaked at the Arboristsite trading post & heck there's a Stihl 460, couple Husky 372's, a brand new Makita 6401 (Dolmar 6400)
Search Arboristsite & you'll find it. Not sure if posting a link to it here is a no-no?

dirttracker said:
I've had a 310 for the past 9 years or so. The year after I bought it, dad picked up a 360 pro. The 360 is a definitely a nicer saw, more torque, smother, and a bit faster though the log when compared to my 310. I've used both for long periods of time and I don't really notice the weight difference, but I'm 6'6" 290 lbs so take that for what it's worth. Personally I'm ready to put the 310 aside for something in the 440 - 460 range or larger. The 310 is still running good after cutting ~12 full cords per year year in and year out. I can't justify the cost of a new 441 or 460, so it will have to be something used. In my situation I will not upgrade to the 361 (or 362) even if it cures cancer. There is not enough of a step up from my 310 to justify the additional $$ now that I have made my investment. I don't know what the cost difference is now, but when I bought it was ~$150 (from what I remember) to go from the 310 to the 360 pro. In retrospect that may have been money well spent, but I suspect I still would want a bigger saw now. In either case you won't be disappointed, but if you have the $$ I would go for the 361.

For myself, if anyone has an 044, 046, 066, 440, 460, 660, or even an 090 they want to part with cheap let me know :). Woodcutting season will soon be here again and I'd love to have a little more power.

I can't either (but I'm doing it anyway), but if you do go with the 460 - same weight and only about $50 more than the 441.

Bigg_Redd said:
dirttracker said:

I can't either (but I'm doing it anyway), but if you do go with the 460 - same weight and only about $50 more than the 441.

460 awesome saw if your cutting trees over 40+ in. under 40 in. the 361 awesome.

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
dirttracker said:

460 awesome saw if your cutting trees over 40+ in. under 40 in. the 361 awesome.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying skip the 441.

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
dirttracker said:

I don't disagree. I'm just saying skip the 441.

i agree with that, 441 are nice but your right there 460 worth another 60.00 all day long

smokinjay said:
timmyd said:
I'm not sure when Makita started to build "knock -off" saws. Makita owns Dolmar. The saws are built at the Dolmar plant in Germany and the only difference is the color of the cases. The OP was looking for suggestions and presenting his idea of the 290/310/390 series. The Makita 6401/7901 is in the same weight category as the 290/310/390 but have more horsepower and are pro grade saws. The 361 is a very good saw and a good suggestion. I don't think the OP would be disappointed with any of the saws that have been suggested.

me either just dont see how people can say that there saving all this money when buying a dolmar there just as much as a stihl with in 5-10 percent... and they dont hold there vaule like a stihl

So if the 6400 from Baileys does price out to be 540 after shipping and the local saw shop sells the 361 with 25" bar for 620$ plus 10% sales tax so really 682$ I would have to really get something more for the 144$. I don't expect to need service or dealer support. I don't expect to sell my saw so don't care about resale. 144$ is nearly 25% of the price of a delivered 6400. That's a huge price premium to go 361 vs. a 6400. The makita is a dolmar but blue and I like blue.

I know that either saw would be great. If the prices were close or even 5-10% higher for the stihl then I would rather go stihl, I do recognize the stihl brand is better. Remember, I chose the 290 over the 5100s.

It's not an easy decision. As soon as we climb out of the 290/3100/390 series we are dealing with a luxury purchase for the OP. You don't need anything bigger for the described work. Since this is a luxury purchase, things like what color do you like best, what brand does your daddy use, or which saw sounds better when running start to become more important than actual specs and price.

Highbeam said:
smokinjay said:
timmyd said:
I'm not sure when Makita started to build "knock -off" saws. Makita owns Dolmar. The saws are built at the Dolmar plant in Germany and the only difference is the color of the cases. The OP was looking for suggestions and presenting his idea of the 290/310/390 series. The Makita 6401/7901 is in the same weight category as the 290/310/390 but have more horsepower and are pro grade saws. The 361 is a very good saw and a good suggestion. I don't think the OP would be disappointed with any of the saws that have been suggested.

me either just dont see how people can say that there saving all this money when buying a dolmar there just as much as a stihl with in 5-10 percent... and they dont hold there vaule like a stihl

So if the 6400 from Baileys does price out to be 540 after shipping and the local saw shop sells the 361 with 25" bar for 620$ plus 10% sales tax so really 682$ I would have to really get something more for the 144$. I don't expect to need service or dealer support. I don't expect to sell my saw so don't care about resale. 144$ is nearly 25% of the price of a delivered 6400. That's a huge price premium to go 361 vs. a 6400. The makita is a dolmar but blue and I like blue.

I know that either saw would be great. If the prices were close or even 5-10% higher for the stihl then I would rather go stihl, I do recognize the stihl brand is better. Remember, I chose the 290 over the 5100s.

It's not an easy decision. As soon as we climb out of the 290/3100/390 series we are dealing with a luxury purchase for the OP. You don't need anything bigger for the described work. Since this is a luxury purchase, things like what color do you like best, what brand does your daddy use, or which saw sounds better when running start to become more important than actual specs and price.

ok now add 10 percent sales tax to the 6400 its 594.00 I guess my only point is to have the 361 its 88.00 bucks more with your math is it worth it? yes if you ever need to sale it. 390 would be a great option but you see what did and again will not do this the reast of my life so resale in another 10 years thats when the 88.00 buck I spent will show up.. I dont see it as luxury I see it as a time saver I work a lot of hrs. so speed is what I was looking at.

You pay sales tax for online purchases? 144$ difference. That's enough to buy a brand new poulan plus chains for all saws.

I hear what you're saying smokin. You value the alleged time savings at more than 144$ and that's fine. I have plenty of time, I mean really, when cutting for personal firewood you don't spend all that many hours cutting. Seems like most of the time is splitting and stacking. Also, I doubt that you'll save any actual time with a 361 vs. a 6400. I would pay extra not for time but for a better brand, the stihl.

We actually agree on everything except whether the additional 144$ is worth it to buy a stihl vs. the equivalent from dolmar. It's totally subjective. Almost a ford vs. chevy thing at this point.

Highbeam said:
You pay sales tax for online purchases? 144$ difference. That's enough to buy a brand new poulan plus chains for all saws.

I hear what you're saying smokin. You value the alleged time savings at more than 144$ and that's fine. I have plenty of time, I mean really, when cutting for personal firewood you don't spend all that many hours cutting. Seems like most of the time is splitting and stacking. Also, I doubt that you'll save any actual time with a 361 vs. a 6400. I would pay extra not for time but for a better brand, the stihl.

We actually agree on everything except whether the additional 144$ is worth it to buy a stihl vs. the equivalent from dolmar. It's totally subjective. Almost a ford vs. chevy thing at this point.

yes we do, and I would pay even more than 144.00 just love that 361 that much. If I had to choose between a 361 or a 460 it would be a very sad day for me.....(and I pay for part-time help with the moving the wood part) so we move alot of wood in a short amount of time.

Highbeam, the 361 is only $599, so it would be a $60 difference. Well worth it, especially if he doesn't have a Dolmar/Makita dealer nearby.

S

This thread drifted too much, I'm sorry, so the OP started a new one. We were comparing the 361 to the 290 and then the 6400. I've changed my tune a bit too. I checked the actual local price on that 361 and posted the price of like 620(?) plus local sales tax. The baileys 6400 is 540$ allegedly shipped. The 290 is much cheaper than all of these and often does the same job for under 400$.

Status
Not open for further replies.