Need help deciding on Progress Hybrid or a Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laurab

Dec 1, 2012
Looking at getting either a Progress Hybrid or a Fireview, but don't know which one would be better for the size and layout of our house. Have a 2300 sq ft 1 story Ranch style home. Stove will be in a 130 sq ft room that has 2 door openings that lead into other rooms. Stove room is not exactly in middle of house, and master bedroom is on other end of house that has a long hall way then turns left followed by a short hall way to get to it. Have a small gas stove in bedroom now, because current wood stove does not heat whole house. Really like the Progress Hybrid, but afraid it will be too much heat for this house.

Nice I bet having the gas stove in the bedroom.
I think a cat stove burning low in your house would be fine.
I'm not sure that the progress can just be burnt in just cat mode though.
I'm sure the PH owners will have way more useful information for you.
Sure is a nice looking stove..they both are!

What is your current stove and what kind of insulation do you have? Where are you located? Do you want to heat the whole house or supplement?

I think the Fireview is rated for up to 1800 sf so I wouldean toward the Progress. Concerned about how small the roo
Is though - need more progress owners to weigh in...

If you really like the PH better just get it. I don't think it will be too much. From reports here people can load smaller loads and still get good long low output burns. You may want that extra capacity at times as well. All that soapstone also helps even out the heat so it's not too overpowering.

I have a 2300 sq ft colonial and had to upgrade from the FV to the Progress. The FV was not enough in Northern MA. We need to know what climate you are in to answer the question.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Welcome to the forum Laura.

While I love the Fireview and we have heard of a couple folks heating their 2000 sq ft home with a Fireview, I would not recommend it. Definitely the Progress unless you are further south. Once we know the location (just a general idea) then we can adjust the recommendation or make some other suggestions.

We can also show you how to move a lot of that heat out of the stove room so you get heat to the other areas of the house. It is really simply.

I also love my Fireview. It does pretty well in my drafty 1800 sq ft house until it drops into the teens and the wind starts blowing. I thin the PH would be the better choice for you. Better to coast a bit with a big stove than run a smaller one real hard.

Thanks for all the replies. We are in Southern WV & currently have a WonderWood Circulator stove. Built house six years ago with R-13 insulation in walls & R-19 in ceiling, house is pretty well insulated. Would like to heat whole house, but can supplement back rooms if we have to, as we are already doing.

I'm heating a bit larger space than you here. I had the FV for 3 seasons and am starting my first with the PH. My guess is that you could heat your place with the FV, but if you like it really warm and are determined to avoid having to use alternate heat at any time then it may be challenging at times. Now the PH doesn't seem to really like to burn as low as the FV did - at least my experience so far is that way, but it really can crank out the heat when needed.

I imagine you will have a bit more of a challenge moving that air around the house that we do though - we have a rather open floorplan and the space is stacked between two floors (upstairs has a loft overlooking the living room so air flows freely between floors which is nice). Being all spread flat on one floor I bet you will need some fans to push the cold air back toward the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.