Need help figuring out how to go from my liner to the stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1fifty

Sep 7, 2013
VA
So now that I have my liner down the chimney I need to figure out how to get from the liner to the stove (Englander NC-30). My problem is that when the previous owner remodeled the house years ago they covered up the fireplace and because of our furniture layout I've decided to go in through the side of the chimney in the room adjacent to the old fireplace opening.

I've attached a picture of where I opened up a hole to where I need to connect to the liner. The "hole" is 7" wide by 9" high and the wall is just over 18" wide. The two pieces of wood running vertical are just furring strips that I can remove but the 2x lumber above will have to stay so if I need to cut into the chimney lower I can. I plan on placing the stove at a 45 degree angle in the corner.

I looked at the article on passing a chimney through the wall but I believe this situation is a little unique due to the clearances in the corner. I will need to be able to pass a 6" pipe through the chimney/wall to connect the liner to the stove. Thanks for any suggestions anyone can come up with.

DSCN1048.JPG

I must be missing something. With a 7" x 9" hole and combustibles right next to the hole, how could this possibly be ok for a 6" connect to the liner?

I must be missing something. With a 7" x 9" hole and combustibles right next to the hole, how could this possibly be ok for a 6" connect to the liner?

That is what I am asking. Just looking for a way to do this and be safe.

What if I remove the furring strips and open the hole to accommodate a triple wall pipe through the hole (ensuring no combustibles within 2") and use an adapter to connect to the liner tee? Is passing triple wall pipe acceptable for this?

Double-wall class A thimble looks like your best bet though I think that is just the beginning of problems. Even if you go with this thimble, how are you going to achieve the required 6" clearance for the connector pipe?

Is the liner already down the flue? If so, Does it already have the Tee body attached to the liner?
With all those combustibles attached to the chimney the liner must be wrapped in 1/2 inch insulation to be safe. There is a product out there called a Insul-Flue. It's made for this situation, it allows you to pass through a combustible wall to get to the masonry chimney. That is basically what you have here. You still may not have the room for it though.

Good suggestion webby, I thought about Insul-Flue, but won't the connecter be too close to the wall? Another thing I kicked around was to use a short stub of class A connected to a 30 deg elbow turning into the room space. My main concern with this type install would be unsupported weight of the elbow.

1fifty, this pipe hole looks like it's next to a doorway. Is that correct? Will the stove block the doorway? What is the general layout and plan here?

Is the liner already down the flue? If so, Does it already have the Tee body attached to the liner?
With all those combustibles attached to the chimney the liner must be wrapped in 1/2 inch insulation to be safe. There is a product out there called a Insul-Flue. It's made for this situation, it allows you to pass through a combustible wall to get to the masonry chimney. That is basically what you have here. You still may not have the room for it though.

Yes, the liner is down the chimney and is insulated with the 1/2" insulation. I have not attached a tee to it yet but I do have access to do it.

Earlier today I ordered a DuraVent 6'' DuraLiner Wall Pass Through - 4644. I believe is the equivalent to the Insul-Flue.

Good suggestion webby, I thought about Insul-Flue, but won't the connecter be too close to the wall? Another thing I kicked around was to use a short stub of class A connected to a 30 deg elbow turning into the room space. My main concern with this type install would be unsupported weight of the elbow.

1fifty, this pipe hole looks like it's next to a doorway. Is that correct? Will the stove block the doorway? What is the general layout and plan here?

Off of the DuraLiner Wall Pass Through I will use DuraVent's DVL which only requires 6" of clearance which I will have.

It is actually near a window. The doorway is farther away with plenty of room for the stove.

DSCN1049.JPG

That helps, it gives a whole new perspective. Horizontal sections of flue that close to the stove get pretty hot so you want to be sure that you have at least 6" clear from the wall. Are you thinking of going directly into a 45º DVL elbow after the Duraliner wall pass through?

I haven't installed one of these but it looks like it requires a 14.5" diameter circle clear of any combustible. The furring strips on both sides will need to be cut back. Call M&G tech support and see if you can send them a picture of this setup for verification. 800-835-4429

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.