Need help finding 1 1/4" PEX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markpee

Aug 12, 2008
Huson Valley New York
Can someone please help me locate a place/website to buy true 1 1/4" ID PEX - just the pex, no insulation etc. required. 1 1/4" is so hard to find, and I really wanted to use Fostapex, but their max is 1". Thanks!

I've been intrigued by PexSupply.com . I think they're in California, but they seem to carry about any Pex you could want. Maybe someone on here has used them??? It says orders over $300 has free shipping?? Could be good.

I've ordered from Pexsupply.com in the past, and at least when I did (about 3 years ago to re-plumb my whole house)(that's another story....) they seemed to be located in NY, the stuff showed up very, very fast to me in VT, and overall, I was entirely pleased with my dealings with them. Hopefully the same still applies.

I order a couple rolls of fostapex from them and was very happy with the whole process. I just ordered a bunch of parts for my system from them. They sell a lot of hydronics stuff aside from just pex. They have another brand (can't remember which) that has 1 1/4" with an oxygen barrier.

Since I brought up PexSupply.....I just made some purchases last night....seems easy to use and had good prices. Now we'll how there delivery is.......

free75degrees said:
I order a couple rolls of fostapex from them and was very happy with the whole process. I just ordered a bunch of parts for my system from them. They sell a lot of hydronics stuff aside from just pex. They have another brand (can't remember which) that has 1 1/4" with an oxygen barrier.

Wisbor or Uponor - they do have 1 1/4 which is slightly larger than 1" ID - Fostapex 1" is almost the same ID and a lot cheaper. To get real 1 1/4" ID you would need to up to 1 1/2 pex, even then you will be .001 short of 1 1/4" ID. So if you bought the 1 1/2", you sould still have to spend bing money on either an electric or pneumatic crimping tool and the 1 1/2" head, which is big bucks! I've decided to run two 1" fostapex runs (2 in, 2 out) on a manifold with two circulators. THis will be the cheapest, most efficient and easiest way in my case to run the wood to the oil.

It's too bad that the pex manufacturers don't see the need for larger pex - someday hopefully...

I was planning on doing two pex lines for wood to oil boiler, but then decided to use 1 1/4" black pipe. Lowe's has a deal where an uncut 10' pipe is $17.60. Lowe's and HD can cut and thread pipes to custom lengths and they both have the fitting for pretty cheap. Cut pipe sections run less than $3 / foot at both places. Black pipe is a more work than pex, but I think it is cheaper.

free75degrees said:
I was planning on doing two pex lines for wood to oil boiler, but then decided to use 1 1/4" black pipe. Lowe's has a deal where an uncut 10' pipe is $17.60. Lowe's and HD can cut and thread pipes to custom lengths and they both have the fitting for pretty cheap. Cut pipe sections run less than $3 / foot at both places. Black pipe is a more work than pex, but I think it is cheaper.

I was thinking Pex would be the cheaper option, until I started pricing it and then especially factoring in the cost of the tools which, especially in the 1" and 1 1/4" get really expensive, really fast - so I am leaning back towards black pipe her myself.

Never worked with the stuff before, but other than the weight (which is substantial with 1 1/4" pieces in long lengths), I can't imagine it will be that hard....we shall see.

I'm so confused! Lowes has 1 1/4" iron at $1.79 per foot. My supply house charges $88 per 20' length. 1" pex is $250 per 150' length - but we will need 4 total 150' lengths....

My plumber insits that using black pipe will cause too much rust in the system.

markpee said:
I'm so confused! Lowes has 1 1/4" iron at $1.79 per foot. My supply house charges $88 per 20' length. 1" pex is $250 per 150' length - but we will need 4 total 150' lengths....

Is your system closed - if it is when you get rid of the O2 - no more rust - just keep up on the O2 scavanger

sdrobertson said:
markpee said:

Is your system closed - if it is when you get rid of the O2 - no more rust - just keep up on the O2 scavanger

Yes it is - closed hydronic. I am aware that the O2 will come out, however, my plumber is my father-in-law. Therein is the issue - he's a great guy, but we seem to differ on how to properly do the pipe run.

To be continued...

Status
Not open for further replies.