Need help finding owners manual for Waterford wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1234

Dec 5, 2008
Colorado
This stove came with the house, it seems well made, but has always had a smoking problem, maybe from the way I used it, maybe from too short of a stack, maybe too green of wood, maybe a combo of those. I have just not used it much because of smoke. I've never had a manual, so maybe I could make it work better with an owners manual.

I've included a couple of pics. It says waterford on both sides, the firebox is very small, but it is set up to have a secondary burn. Finished in black enamel.

I've played with this stove the last couple of days, got a good secondary burn going, only had to open the windows 2 times to let out smoke. The little knob at the top to move from regular burn to secondary burn gets about 250 °F , ouch. The only way to have a regular burn is to open the ash door (if there is another way, I have not discovered it).

There also has never been any kind of damper in the stove pipe, I'm guessing it needs one to get any long term burn - is that correct?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• IMG00098.jpg
    IMG00098.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,259
  • IMG00097.jpg
    IMG00097.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 422
Looks like that may be an Erin? Can you describe the flue pipe that is connected to the stove? We need the diameter and the height. The pipe on the stove looks large, like maybe 8"? If the pipe is too short, or too large in diameter, a damper is the last thing you will want to add.

If this is the Erin, here is a link to the manual for a new one:
http://www.waterfordstanley.com/SiteImages/Site_131/PDF/ErinNBSF.pdf

It has 2 options for stovepipe, one out back (round) and the one out the top (oblong). I agree stove pipe is probably 8", but I'm not home right now to measure. When I get there I'll take some measurements for back outlet and stovepipe.

Could the smoke problem be from too large of flue pipe?

BeGreen said:
Looks like that may be an Erin? Can you describe the flue pipe that is connected to the stove? We need the diameter and the height. The pipe on the stove looks large, like maybe 8"?

Just an update, you were right, it is an Erin (e). I found a manual on Regencies sight (after 3 phone calls to regency dealers) under discontinued stoves. Thank you so much.

If the pipe is oversized (8") and short (less than 15') the draft may be weak. That would explain the smoking problem. Add unseasoned wood and it can make for a disappointing experience. The good news is that this is a nice little stove. Long burns are never going to be its strong suit, but with decent draft and good wood, it should put out some heat.

Thanks for the tip on the discontinued manuals at Regency's site. I got a copy of the manual there.
http://www.regency-fire.com/Customer-Care/Manuals/Discontinued-Manuals.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.