Need Help from all you experts!!!! How much would you pay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imdeanna

May 1, 2007
First I’ll admit that I dont’ know anything about wood stoves.

We purchased our home 6 months ago, the previous owners installed this stove and it just does not go with the decor of our home....

I dont’ know how much to even ask for it.....any help?

Here’s the info:

The back says "Date MFR 88-8" Model 3-C & has a serial # engraved.

Stove measurements are: W: 24", D: (20" main box) 28" overall H: 24"

There are no cosmetic defects that I can see......

According to the chimney guy we had clean our chimney and the stove, there is something is wrong with the hinge for the damper, and there is some wire/cord thing coming from it that we don’t even know what it’s for (maybe there is a blower below??)
(anyone know what that is for??)

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated! Thanks!
DeAnna

Attachments

• STOVE.JPG
    STOVE.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC01274.JPG
    DSC01274.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 447
The manufacure is Hearthstone. The plug in cord i would assume is for the blower. Its a pre epa stove and that hurts the value. I would think somewhere in the $500 range would be fair.

Thanks! that's what first came to mind ..... but I saw some on ebay that ended for 1800, and a couple current auctions (one for a 1981) that was at 900.....so I thought I better check!

Do you know if this model has a 'name' ? besides 3-C model? (like your's is "Mansfield")?

and I read somewhere that the brown enamal is not very common....true?

I do love the stove...it's nice and ornate! but it is a misfit in our home that has more a 'modern' look....

It is a catalytic combustor model, but these stoves weren't the most impressive heaters in terms of capability. Its hard to set a price on it, but on ebay I've seen them go for between 500 and 1000 depending wildly on condition and the location of the stove.

I personally wouldn't pay more than 500 for it, just because I'm aware of the limited capabilites of the stove and the essentially awful aesthetics in my opinion.

The HearthStone III was not a very popular stove - small box, high price and not too high with heat.

As per the plate, the stove is about 20 years old. Probably would work - but in a smaller size range, and certainly would not represent the state of the art. You might be happier selling it - you might get $400 plus for it since folks like soapstone, and buy something more modern.

I know it might be "ethically suspect" given that we know it's limitations, and about what it's really worth, but I would say to put it on E-pay at $500 and see what happens... If somebody WANTS to pay over a grand for it should you really argue?? :bug:

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.