Need help from the Husqvarna experts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver

Feb 1, 2014
Southwestern Va
I have a chance to buy a 359 from my neighbor, I don't know the age but it's in fairly good shape. All I ever owned are Stihl saws so don't know much about it other than I think it is a 59cc pro grade saw. It does need some work probably a carb rebuild, saw will start and run for a few seconds the quit. It boils down to what would you pay for this saw? She won't give me a price but wants me to make an offer, I want to be fair to her but I also don't want to pay more than it's worth.

I have run into situations like that, but not with a chainsaw. I would suggest that you go to ebay and search for the saw. Then click on completed items and see what they sold for. After establishing a price for a running saw, you could estimate what you think it would cost for your work to get it running right, and subtract that from your offer.
In a few cases, I would make an offer with the agreement to give them additional money if repair was simpler then expected.
I did that with a Case Backhoe and ended up giving him an additional $600.00, two months later. He was shocked!!

Reactions: mike van
Good advise from Giles - the 359's on ebay run about 150.00 for 'parts or repair' 2 to 3 hundred for nice running [so they say] ones, and 400+ for a few new ones. How bad do you want it I guess is the next ? I've had Stihls for a lifetime. A few years back got a Husky 266 se used, good deal. Just didn't care for it & sold it soon after. Drank too much Stihl kool-aid I guess........;lol

I've owned alot of saws and my Husky's have always been one of the best. That said if the saw is in very good used condition other than a carb build, if thats the problem, i would give $200 for it. Remember its not just the cost of the repair but the hassle. I would swap the plug and fuel line and give it a good toothbrush while your at it....

I have a chance to buy a 359 from my neighbor,.... She won't give me a price but wants me to make an offer, I want to be fair to her but I also don't want to pay more than it's worth.
First, did she come to you and offer to sell you the saw? Or did YOU go to her and ask to buy it?

My point is this: I always believe that it should be the SELLER who sets the beginning price.

Now if she never was even thinking of selling it and you went to her to inquire, then, yeah, it should be YOU who comes up with the FIRST "bid".

Even auctions have a STARTING price on an item for sale.

Also, I have no idea what it is worth. :confused:

She probably does not know what the saw is worth. If it were me I would pull the muffler and if the piston and cylinder look to be in good shape offer 100 to 150 for the saw depending on condition.

I work part time in a shop doing some of their saw repair and they charge the customer 65.00 dollars an hour. If she went to a shop to get it running it would not be cheap. Your time and expertise are worth a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.